Cable Discussion > General Cable Discussion

What is your Favourite Cable Gig???

(1/3) > >>

Greg:
Well mine was at the Garrick in Derby on April 3rd 1997. They had just put out Blue Birds are Blue and When Animals Attack was about to hit the shops. It was the last big Gig at the Garrick too. It closed two weeks later (Very Sad Day).

Anyway the gig was Incredible everyone in the band was on form. They even played Signature Tune! (How Rare indead!!). After the gig Richie gave me two of his 'Well used Drum Sticks' and a poster of of the art work  for When Animals Attack. What a gig i've never seen anything come close to that and i've seen some BIG bands!!

I still have that poster and both those drum sticks nice one Richie!!

I wonder what the members of Cable favourite gig was?

Look forward to hear from anyone who was at the April 3rd 1997 gig at the Garrick and anyone elsers favourite gig

Greg.  ;D

Damon:
I saw Cable at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth (if you look closely at the ticket in the miscellaneous gallery you?ll notice it was from that show) on October 13th 1998, they had cancelled an earlier show in Portsmouth due to family illness and I was glad to see them coming back down south again. They played loads of songs from the then unreleased Sub-Lingual album, a few people in the crowd kept yelling for Freeze The Atlantic but they didn?t play it.

I spoke to Richie after their set who told me it was his birthday that day and signed a flyer for me, Matt came out to watch a little of A (who were headlining) and spoke to me for ages, signed my ticket and t-shirt and took my picture with the camera he was carrying around with him (he even came out into the lobby of the venue to say goodbye when I left later).

Pete had sent me a signed When Animals Attack poster and some Cable stickers a year or so before and I sadly didn?t get to meet him to say thank you

Damon

Pete Cable:
I remember we had to cancel a number of shows at that time, Wedgewood rooms being one, because my missus' mum died of cancer that week. Very hard times for me.
A few of my personal favourites are:
1. Reading 1995 - we'd arrived and it was the first time we'd walked out on stage to more than 50 people - in fact it was about 6 thousand!
2. Brixton Academy with Reef and Travis in 97 - we peeped thru the curtains before we went on and shit ourselves at the full to capacity venue that we'd always dreamed of playing.
3. Oxford Sound City 1998 - ok, we were 2nd fiddle to Echobelly, but we were Peeley's choice and the man himself announced us. We spent a brilliant evening in his company, the set was blinding we were treated like stars because of John. I cried the day he died and felt ashamed that I was in a proper job now and only 'playing' at being in a band. We owed John so much and I felt that real alternative music in the UK had lost it's only champion.
4. Cable's last ever gig, Dingwalls, May 1999. 700 kids sang along to every song and stormed the stage at the end. Marvellous. I put my guitar down carefully for once, stepped off the stage into the dressing room and cried like a baby, knowing that anything I was involved in musically after that, no matter how successful, would never come close to what that group had meant to me.

PlacidCasual:
I guess my favourite gig was the first time i saw them, supporing Feeder (how crap are they now...) in Edinburgh. Feeder were a pretty small band back then too so it wasnt too packed, basicly Cable outrocked Feeder big time, they just came on and made some amazing noise, loads of bass and great dynamics that worked so well, remembering i hadnt heard anything by them then, i was pretty much sold from that gig. Saw them a few more times after that in Edinburgh, just a shame their gigs were never too busy here, when i saw them in Glasgow, there was a bigger crowd at least.

Tim:
For me it would have to be the 1st time I saw them at the Racehorse, Northampton 1996/7 (??) and being mesmirised for the duration. Don't think there was a stage, so everyone was on eye level (which was nice)! Remember Richie pummelling his minmal drum kit thinking "that kits never gonna last the set"!

Saw the last gig at Dingwalls. Again they were on fine form considering the circumstances but it was weird knowing that it would be the last time I'd never see the 4 of them in this arrangement again.

Cheers

Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version