General Non-Cable Stuff > General music Discussion

Cable peers

<< < (2/4) > >>

Rob:
ace!

i'm praying to God that you have a copy of Understand's unreleased second album, Real Food At Last. if not, i'm going to cry.

Corporate_Automaton:
Ahoy!

--- Quote from: Jezmyers on September 06, 2006, 06:53:51 pm ---I'll do a big post on A/Understand/Jetpak and where they all are now when I get home later, watch this space...

--- End quote ---

Cool - I'll look forward to that.

A quick search for Understand and Jetpak songs on the interweb proved unsuccessful - I'll have to try and get a copy of that single to check them out.

Damon, you hit the nail on the head about 'A';  Hi-Fi Serious signalled the beginning of the end of 'A' for me.

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

PlacidCasual:
LOL I too was an 'A' fan before they turned a little bit, well, rubbish..

Respect to them though coz when i was at 2 of their gigs in Edinburgh on sepearte occasions both times Jason Perry spotted me in my Cable t-shirt and said the kid in the Cable t-shirt rocks! and told everyone to go out and buy Cables new album and he invited me up on stage and then started playing Number One. He passed the mic to me and i didnt have a clue what the words were so i just screamed "Pancakes!!" and stage dived into the crowd. Ahhh being 17 again!!

I used to go see Idlewild a lot when they just started out, they were pretty good, i think theyve turned a litle bland now though. Bob from Idlewild left to join Degrassi who i used to drum for (well i played in a band with 2 of the main members before they became Degrassi) who now have an EP and a couple of Peel sessions under their belts. Other bands from around that time that i liked were Urusei Yatsuara an ace now defunct Glasgwegian band, Number one Cup, a bit like a heavier Pavement, Super Furry Animals, Mogwai.. the list could go one but a lot of stuff i listened to then makes me cringe a little now  ;D

edit - forgot to add Laeto, highly recommended if you liked Mogwai's heavier stuff, these guys are brilliant live!

Corporate_Automaton:
Ahoy!

They were pretty good blokes, the guys in 'A'.  I remember (well, I say remember, I was a little inebriated at the time so my memory is hazy at best!) talking to Dan the bassist for ages about loads of rubbish and he was really sound!

It seems that 'A' got a taste for the big time with Nothing and wanted to get big and that's why they changed their sound and when you change your sound to sell records, it's always gonna alienate the fans who were there from the beginning.  I remember reading an interview around the time of Hi-Fi Serious and they were saying stuff like 'we want the next album to be huge and sell a million copies' and all that sort of stuff.  Mind you, every band wants to get big so I guess I can't really begrudge them that.  But, the whole new emo-y sound of 'A' doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm learning about loads of bands in this thread!  Urusei Yatsuara and Number One Cup?  I've never heard of them, but I'm always willing to check out new stuff!

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

PlacidCasual:
Oh man youd love urusei yatsura, theyre album slain by urusei yatsura is brilliant. I reccommend it.  Most their work should be readily available from ebay or indie stores.  They had that kinda lo-fi sound that loads of band seemed to be tagged with back then and  carried some awesome catchy tunes. Songs like Hello Tiger and Kwepies Like Watermelon are ace.

I think i might check out Understand myself, would love to hear some new music.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version