General Non-Cable Stuff > General music Discussion

Cable peers

(1/4) > >>

Rob:
Does anyone listen to the bands that were around at the same time as Cable and in the same sort of niche?

Bands like Understand, Jetpak, A (old stuff), Idlewild (old stuff) etc.

Understand are one of my fave bands. So underrated at the time and yet another victim of major label signing before they were ever ready for it.

Corporate_Automaton:
Ahoy, Rob!

I was a big fan of 'A' back in the day but I'm not so big on the more recent stuff (I haven't got their newest album but from what I heard of it, I don't think I'd like it).  I think they've split now because their label dumped them when their latest album wasn't the massive success they expected.

As for the other bands, I can't say I've ever heard of Understand and Jetpak though I'll make an effort to track down some songs and have a listen.  It seems weird that I've never come across Understand - if they were on a major they must have been fairly big?

As for Idlewild, I liked the few songs I heard but never got round to buying any albums (I'm a lazy, lazy man!).

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Damon:
I loved A back in the day but I think it was when they made Hi Fi Serious they suddenly had become a pop/punk chart friendly band and lost their original appeal, they were such a great live band and had a massive following but (like Cable) never quite managed to make it as big as they deserved.

Damon

Rob:
to be honest i've never been a big A or Idlewild fan.

the first Idlewild album is alright - a lot more gritty than their other efforts. i think it was produced by Paul Tipler, probably the reason why Cable chose him to do Sub-Lingual.

conveniently - Understand and Jetpak released a split single, which is pretty ace. (bit pricey though - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000057YTV/ref=dp_olp_1/026-1513351-6990860?ie=UTF8 ) Understand's album Burning Bushes And Burning Bridges came out on East West. should still be able to get somewhere.

Understand are stuff sort of in the vein of Quicksand, Helmet kind of stuffy stuff. and Jetpak are a bit more poppy (their guitarist went on to the little-known Hundred Reasons).

Jezmyers:
i'll do a big post on A/Understand/Jetpak and where they all are now when I get home later, what this space...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version