Author Topic: Marks out of ten for each track off the new Cable tribute album  (Read 72390 times)

siganturetune

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Marks out of ten for each track off the new Cable tribute album
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2006, 02:26:30 pm »
it's matt's favorite too......
lost alone is more stright up witha lost alone twist. rocking all the same tho...

Martin

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2006, 11:04:02 am »
Not sure about the Get Cape cover of Freeze The Atlantaic...

Sounds a bit Craig David...

What do you guys reckon?

Joey Swound!

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2006, 11:38:46 am »
Cant get the dang thing to play!

siganturetune

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2006, 11:47:53 am »
well i love it, up there witha  few others as my favorite......i love the middle section, with the trumpet......but i kinda get the feeling a lot of people won't like it as its a bit out there compared with the original....

Benj

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2006, 02:43:29 pm »
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. Between 6 and 8 out of 10. Not sure yet.

I get the feeling that it's a grower. At first I didn't even realise it was a Cable song and that Damon had put the wrong track up. I've listened to it a few times and it's getting there. Slowly.

Damon - I did notice about a London launch party, and I would love to have come, but it's the only long weekend i've got planned outside of London for pretty much the whole of this year. Sorry dude. Come to Cardiff instead.

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2006, 03:31:24 pm »
It?s nice to be back home, myself and Mrs SubLingual took a break for the weekend and left our home here at SubLingual towers and headed out to the country. We enjoyed home made cider and ate many an apple but the best part of going away is always returning to this World Wide Web we call home.

Funnily enough I thought the same thing as Benj, I didn?t really like the Freeze The Atlantic cover at first but it?s one of those that I?m pretty sure will grow  and grow on me. Not sure about marks out of 10 and right now in all honesty they wouldn?t be that high but again I do think the song will continue to grow on me.

And as for Cardiff well I?ve only ever been there once but I?m sure I shall return at some point.

Damon
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:33:42 pm by Damon »
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

PlacidCasual

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2006, 06:47:59 pm »
Hmmmmm, i cant really decide either.  I think the vocals are very good but im not sure i like the guitar strums.  I cant rate it because i cant actually decide if i like it or not. The tellison one is still my fave, i had it stuck in my head for days.
At least the last 2 havent been as bad as the god gave me gravity cover.

gurdak

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2006, 09:31:14 pm »
been listening to get cape. wear cape. fly's freeze the atlantic. At first it kindof reminded me of incubus, its not bad at all, but it's not really blown me away or anything.

I'm not at all worried by my lukewarm response though. Ii can't wait for this album, freeze the atlantic is a song i'd kindof fell out with purely because i'd listened it to death. Its nice to have new life breathed into songs and a different take on them. The added bounus is that once i've listened to the tribute to album to death it'll highten my appreciation for the originals.  :)

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2006, 09:19:40 pm »
Ha ha it's SO Craig David!!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:21:32 pm by ChrisH »

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2006, 11:24:41 pm »
The song still isn?t growing on me but it?s interesting to hear it done in a totally different way, I am looking forward to hearing the Bluebirds Are Blue and Do The Tube covers with much anticipation and really hope they don?t disappoint.

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

siganturetune

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2006, 10:32:14 am »
just so you all know, i have a bit of bother with getting the track up, but i think i've cracked it now...

Pete Cable

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2006, 02:11:47 am »
Marc is correct about having to clear things legally if any of the artists were to alter structure or lyrical content for the purpose of the cover. We had to give the OK and it came a while after the tracks had started to be recorded.
I love the Swound Honolulu coz it has so much energy, I love tellison and get cape and I really like the international league's version of do the tube - i actually think that's an improvement - we f'd up the recording of that song in my opinion. Shame no one did Dinky - if Hudson Super 6 had been offered a slot, we'd have done that.
It's difficult - play it straight and it might sound boring, but swing too far away and it might just alienate the fans. I remember when Marc sent us the tellison track he said something like 'this will cause the fans to kick off'.

I get the same sort of grief over Hudson Super Six - the audience is nearly always for the most part cable fans.
They are 70% shocked and disappointed that we do not sound like cable. I've even heard people say stuff like 'well it's obvious who was the talent in that band etc'. Some say it's too 'poppy' others say it's too 'rock' rather than 'indie'.

First of all, I had spent the best part of 7 years creating a certain type of music and i wanted to try something different. I wanted to get back to the essence of what inspired me along the rock journey (!!!) how i'd ended up at fugazi, sonic youth and my bloody velentine, when as a 7 year old, sneaking into his older brothers bedroom in the 70s, I had listened to the Zep, Sabs, early ZZ Top, Free - the big 70s rock sound - big blues riffs stripped bare.
I guess my point is I've had as many doors closed to me because it turned out it wasn't exactly like cable as I've had doors opened because 'it's a bloke out of cable'.

Matt is doing the same with Je Suis Animal. Same goes for Rich. Again - nothing like cable. If I'd just formed another noisy guitar band that utelised dissonant chord structures and odd time signatures I would have been called black and blue for that and it would almost certainly been a pale imitation of the real deal - i firmly believe cable was a sum of it's parts and the great thing was, above and beyond the instruments we played ourselves, we could all speak openly and contribute about any aspect of the song. Rich's suggestions as how the riff should go was equally as welcomed as my suggestion for how the drums could sound with my bass part etc.

So with this record, just like with all of the above rambling examples, is about balance. Some are straighter than others some are more offbeat than others, but as a creative whole, i think the record works so well - the sum of the parts is the key here.

Trust me, the bigger picture is worth the wait.

There's something for everyone - some push the boat out just right for me, some push it too far and some not enough, but it's all subjective. Some of the straighter ones just light the spark for me, even tho i like things to be different. Hard to pin down why, they have a certain energy or they seem to feel what cable was about - just as a couple of the straighter ones seem to me to be lacklustre and somehow missing the point. Fix it Kid's oubliette did nothing for me whatsoever and the straightening out of it's rhythmic kinks seemed to bland it out even more so. Like it was done coz they were asked, not coz they love the band, but folk here have already said they love it.
There's hopefully something there for everyone into cable and Marc has done a genius job on putting it together.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2006, 10:30:38 am »
I think its fair to say everyones looking forward to the album, we can all agree on that!  Im personally looking forward to the swound one coz i checked their myspace site and they're the best new band ive heard in years, i hope somebody signs them again soon.

Need to stop editing my posts for spelling errors, im just gonna leave them from now on i think  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:36:21 am by PlacidCasual »

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2006, 10:32:46 pm »
I'm fortunate enough to have heard the whole thing for reviewing purposes now and while, in my opinion, it is very hit-and-miss, the hits are well worth it. Tellison's version is far and away the stand out track but Do The Tube is fantastic also. It sounds very much like a YCNI:M tune now which, for any fans of that band, is an awesome thing to hear!

Really though, for me, the reason to love this record lies purely in the props it pays to Cable.

I'm extremely interested to know in what way you feel the WAA version of Do The Tube lets you down tho Pete??
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:43:09 pm by ChrisH »

siganturetune

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2006, 10:53:43 am »
hey chris.....who do you write for?
i just got the full CDS back today, and from my opinion i'm totally happy with every single track on there, but that is my opinion (and i like very single band on there anyway, which might have something to do with it!) , and its cool that everyone else has one too - and i agree its more a case of us just going 'look how brillinat cable were' more than anything, as i think they've been pretty much overlooked which si ridiculous considering teh amount of influence they have had over UK bands in the last 10 years.....
anyhows. i hope everyone enjoys the CD, or at least likes a few tracks, if thats the case then it's been worth it. if not, just go back and listen to the Cable albums - because that's really the whole point of it. hence the word ''tribute'