Author Topic: Marks out of ten for each track off the new Cable tribute album  (Read 72295 times)

Martin

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Marks out of ten for each track off the new Cable tribute album
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2006, 05:52:03 pm »
If you guys how shit the rest of In Flights songs are you'd appreciate just how good their covewr is.

Some of you're opinions are really negative, I know Rob personally, I used to be in a band with the guy, I know he would have made the best job possible with what he had to work with. They were told oringinally that they had to keep the same structure contractually, you should really direct your crtitcisms at Mr Signature Tune for not getting the plan straight legally before asking bands to do covers.

The IFP cover is fucking ACE and when I heard it in DubRek, the studio where it was recorded I was totally blown away. Hey, it might be the same, at least it is totally rocking though!! I've seen IFP program develope, I've been at many gig where I've nearly fallen asleep but now I think they are finally begginning to hit the spot. Don't shoot them down, you know what the constraints were when they recorded the song, so the next oerson to say it sounds a bit too much like the original is a fucking idiot!

As for Tellison, I think it sounds like they have murdered a fairly cherpy up beat song. Each to their own!

Keep up the good work...

Well done to Signature Tune for releasing the album too....

Corporate_Automaton

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2006, 06:21:51 pm »
Ahoy!

Mmmm. I'm not so sure about the Tellison cover.  Like Martin said, its lost a lot of the up-beat-ness (is that a word?) and what was a pretty cheery song is now kinda depressing!  I can't get stupid myspace to play the whole song, though - it keeps crashing after about a minute so maybe when it gets going it's a bit cheerier?

Fair play to all the bands who've had a go at doing a cover, though.  Especially those brave enough to try and do something new with the song as you run the risk of upsetting a lot of Cable fans!

Well done to Signature Tune for releasing the album too....
Yep, I totally agree.

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2006, 06:42:51 pm »
I have to say that the Song 1 cover is my favourite so far, more like this please!!!!

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

PlacidCasual

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2006, 06:45:19 pm »
Wasnt what i was expecting I like the tellison cover, or at least its not bad, it is quite downbeat but the vocals are good and it grew on me more after a second listen. I give it 7/10.

Re Martin - to say some of our comments are negative and that we are idiots for not liking the  IFP cover is a bit rediculous dude. Id only be lying if i said i thought it was good, i think some people have taken it too much to heart and cant accept that not everone likes it.

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2006, 07:22:18 pm »
Martin behaviour like that is NOT tolerated in this forum, if I have to I will ban you and remove your posts. No one has said anything about the band, only what they think of the cover song. Everyone (like myself) knows that when they are part of a band they put themselves up for criticism, I myself didn?t like the cover simply because it sounds too much like the original but that is my opinion and why this thread was started.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no one is right or wrong but this forum is not about insulting everyone as you don?t like what they have to say.

Damon

scyne

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2006, 07:37:59 pm »
Tellison cover is brilliant. Well done. Great song, and they've done a great version of it.

greg

Joey Swound!

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2006, 09:41:17 pm »
I like the tellison song and it's one of my favourite Cable songs. If I didn't know the original I would probably like it a lot more than I do. At least it's different! Swish!

Greg

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2006, 10:21:14 pm »
A mark of a good song is when you can play it in a completely different way to the orginal and it still sound good. ;D

Hope every bodys well

Greg.

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2006, 11:44:13 pm »
I'm so fucking impressed by Tellison's version, they've given a completely new lease of life to the song and added a fragility that is immense!! I love that sort of Postal Service, Pinback vibe so this scores big big points. Can it get any better!?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:46:13 pm by ChrisH »

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2006, 03:01:03 am »
This is what I meant by putting your own personality into the cover and doing it in your own style, I find it very reminiscent of the Tears For Fears cover Mad World used for the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

This is quite simply an awesome cover of an awesome song (and one of my favourite Cable songs) this is what I hoped for when I first heard about the tribute album. I really there is more of this to come 10 out of 10.

Is anyone going to the London release party of the album by the way as I?m going to be there representing SubLingual.co.uk and I?m curious if any of our forum members will be present?

Damon

PlacidCasual

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 10:50:34 am »
It is indeed a good cover, like a lot of good tunes it took me a couple of listens to grow on me. It's quite infectious.
Its shows strong a song it is when its stripped down like that and still sounds catchy. Its the clearest ive ever heard the lyrics to a cable tune before too.

Tim

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006, 11:20:25 pm »
Liking the Tellison cover quite bit after giving it few plays. Like the way it's been broken down in a minimalist kind of way, just using the basics and still coming out with the goods.
Will have to check out some of their own stuff. Anyone know here I can hear/find any of it?

Cheers

Tim
Hold on there a goddam second!

Tim

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006, 11:24:08 pm »
Also, noticed in this weeks Kerrang that Simon Young mentioned the album in the Decks Of Doom section. Nice little bit of publicity ;)

Cheers

Tim

Hold on there a goddam second!

siganturetune

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2006, 10:27:09 am »
go to their myspace

www.myspace.com/tellison

one of my favorite bands in the UK right now for sure. usually they are a bit more rock-y but hopefully there'll be some more of this kind of stuff on the album they've just done!

Martin

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2006, 11:13:56 am »
I spoke to Pete last night, he said the Tellison cover was his favorite on the album...

It has the official seal of approval!

Roll on the Loastalone cover, I'm looking forward to that...