Author Topic: Derby Show  (Read 16433 times)

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
Derby Show
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:10:44 am »
I'm sat in my hotel room, which conveniently only about a 20 minute taxi from the venue and just had to say that tonight was genuinely the best gig that i have ever been to. The audience just showed such love and pride in the band and the atmosphere that it created was just phenomenal.

The set list was just a fans wet dram. It had singles, b sides, past live favourites and even one that they had never played live before.

The smiles on the faces of the crowd was matched by the members of the band, each one clearly loving playing together again. I have never seen a band smile so much.

Merch!?! Yes! There was fucking merch -

1 When Animals Attack CD?s

2 T-shirts, which is awseome (but out of all the colours they had the only one available in small was the black and white one, god damnit i wanted to at least be able to buy a couple in different colours) The chance to own a Cable t-shirt again is very rare.

3 From here you can See Yourself (the random ?best of? album that was  released quickly after the band broke up that had random singles and random album tracks that any fan would have already owned but then one song that was an alternate studio version of Oubliette which was only there to make fans buy an album of songs that they almost had no need to fucking buy)

4 demos and unreleased songs CD. (Yes!) A kind of tour EP that contains demos and unreleased songs (obviously) which is FUCKING TITS!

I didn?t really want to listen to the CD on my laptop as the speakers aren?t particularly brilliant but was too curious to see what was on it.

So here it is ?

1 (eighteen) Seventy - Demo of an acoustic version of Seventy that most fans would have but in tits quality

2 Vertigo (demo) ? another demo that most fans would already have but in great quality

3 Cape Fear  - Alternate ?brilliant quality version? of the Rick Wakeman demo

4 Moonless Night In The Small Town ? Tarzan demo but in great quality

5 Yesterday On The Horizon (demo) ? Another demo that most fans would already have

6 Hexagon Eye (demo) - Another demo that most fans would have but in great quality

7 Letters To Nowhere ? Alternate version of the ?One For The Ladies Stallion? demo (but with completely different lyrics. 

Set List-

I was geeky enough to note the set list for anyone interested (not a particularly easy thing to do when your against the barrier and every single person in the venue is jumping around right behind you) -

1 Song 1

2 Blindman

3 Souvenir

4 Pocket Promise

5 Brothersand Sisters

6 Sale of the century

7 Freeze the atlantic

8 God gave me gravity

9 The colder climate

10 Seventy

11 Honolulu

12 Vertigo

Encore -

1 New set of bruises

2 Yesterday on the horizon

3 Oubliette

Travel-

It took me 4 and half hours to drive to Derby. The M25 and M1 can suck my fucking balls!!! Oh and by the way, did anyone else have a nightmare with Sat Nav? Derby doesn?t actually match the Sat Nav map and has roads, buildings and even a motherfucking B&Q that Sat Nav has never seen before and simply can?t comprehend.

So anyways, i?m curious to see what everyone thought of the show AND the merh? Also, i did manage to get a few pictures, as i was at the barrier i got some quite good ones. If anyone got any awesome pictures post them, if we get enough decent one's from the shows maybe we'll add a gallary of them on the site, so lets see them.

So anyways, i'm genuinely curious to find out what you thought about the evening?

Damon!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 02:18:05 am by Damon »
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

martin_lindau

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Derby Show
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:22:57 am »
Fully blown away, way too tired to say anything now.

One of the best, most heartfelt gigs I have ever been to. It meant so much to many.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I'll be on my own, so if any of you happen to recognise me, please say hi!!

Jezmyers

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:21:19 am »
here are my thoughts;

Merch - very good except for overpriced tote bags. one t-shirt design available in red (girls) and blue/black.

Set - was excellent. Quite tight taking into account the timing changes and that they don't play regularly.

Missing songs - Well, there were some but unless they played the entire back catalogue that was always going to happen.

The band looked liked they loved it, that's the most important thing. Richie looked like he was going to collapse throughout!

nicof

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:13:22 pm »
Very happy. Very happy.

Can't believe they didn't play Blue Birds... But I enjoyed the short, crowd rendition of Ultra Violet... :)

The red/yellow t-shirts, despite being said to be skinny fit, just seem to be regular men's mediums... Or at least my mate's one seems to be...

Took two Cable 'virgins' along. They loved it too. Who wouldn't!?

One of which was the lad taking shed loads of photos (he does stuff for BBC Introducing sometimes). I'll try and nick his shots...

Oh, and satnav is definitely balls about Derby... Having said that, we took a 25 mile detour down the m40 where it merges with the M42... but that was driver error...

Sarlacc

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 01:23:13 pm »
Seeing that setlist has made me very exited about Saturday. Gutted they'll not be playing a full set, but I'd take any of those songs. Will totally lose my shit if they play yesterday on the horizon :)

bluecactus

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 02:58:52 pm »
Drove five hours down from central Scotland and five hours back. Not many bands I'd go that far for. Actuall my friend drove me - thanks Brian! And yes, satnav in Derby is pish. Ended up in a pub with the band before the gig, but decided not to say anything for fear of coming over like a twat!

Completely great, emotional and heartfelt - performance and crowd. My highlight was the spontaneous crowd singalong of 'HEADS you want a remedy, TAILS you want a remedy' and the band's delighted reaction - looked like Ritchie was up for starting to play it but they stuck to the setlist - might be reading too much into it there!

Great fun watching them interact on stage - it was the first time I've seen them and the best show I could have asked for.

During the summer everyone seemed to go mad for the Stone Roses reunion - fair enough, but for me, the most exciting and important reunion of the year took place last night. A very special evening.

tattooedfeathers

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »
went last night with two mates, we all loved it, the set was tight as hell bar the one slight misque which pete found highly amusing as we all did.
Was speeking to darius before and amazingly they had only had 3 or 4 practice jams prior to the derby gig, which made the performance even more remarkable.

The atmosphere was great, it was nice to see real anticipation and hunger amongst the crowd and the band did a great job of hitting all the right spots through the set.
Merch was good,got two tshirts in black and blue, plus the unreleased cd which has been on repeat all day!

Maybe im bias but this performance rolled back the years for me, and I honestly cant think of a gig ive ever enjoyed as much or that meant as much.

Thanks to the band and a good crowd for making it so good.

Damon, were you the chap against the rails, taking pics on iphone or whatever it was? I appologoised to someone at the end for crushing them all night but such was excitement coursing through my veins, I couldnt help going a bit mental.

Everyone who is going to manc and london, have a good one.

bluecactus

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 03:51:13 pm »
Oh aye - support band were cool too. A hint of Mogwai? Great drummer, felt sorry for him cos his bass drum kept sliding away from him, I know how that feels during a show! Really enjoyed you guys if you're reading.

BoXofSlicE

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:51 pm »
What can I say? We were watching from the sides with drinks in hand like typical 30 something's like we are until about 4 songs in then 14 years rolled away as we joined the pit. What a night! Got to say hello to Richie and matt after too when they all come to bar one round the corner after.

Can't wait for Saturday (wish I had the money to do all 4). Thanks guys!

daryltaylor

• God Gave Me Gravity
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »
Well where to begin...travelled down from Kettering on the train at 3.30 and got Derby at 4.30ish, from there to the hotel and get changed ready for the mighty Cable. Had steak in a restaurant and a pint before i exploded with excitment. I'm 38 and felt like a kid again waiting for the band to play.

First up though where Slow Season who i really enjoyed and so did my girlfriend, reminded me of Mogwai and a band to keep an eye out for! Now i saw Richie & Darius walking around the venue but for sum reason i got nervous and did'nt say anything, unusual for me but there one of my all time favourite bands.

Now for merch stand, Bought 2 t-shirts blue/black, tote bag, 4 copies of the unreleased cd & 5 badges. Now for the moment we've all been waiting for, on they come and the crowd go absolutely nuts, Song 1, God Gave Me Gravity, Honolulu & Vertigo are just some of the highlights of a great set. The band are clearly having a blast even when Matt forgets the lyrics & Pete Nearly falls off the stage laughing!

After a 3 set encore the band go to the merch stand to meet us all and sign stuff. Meet the whole band & Get all my cd albums signed plus my vinyl of When Animals Attack & Downlift The Uptrodden. Now for all you collectors out there the 7 track unreleased cd is gonna be very rare as there is only 194 copies made so get 1 quick! The band could'nt have been nicer even though i kept asking them to sign loads of stuff so thanx Cable for making a good year a great one. Cya Saturday for even more!

BoXofSlicE

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:45:54 pm »
Haha saw you last night with your vinyls thinking wish I remembered to do that! Soon as I heard about the new cd I darted to the mercy stand.  It's finally answered the question of which tracks were missing from the demo we have

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 10:57:52 pm »
"Damon, were you the chap against the rails, taking pics on iphone or whatever it was?"

Yeah that was me. My friend bailed so i drove 4 and a half hours to Derby on my own, got to the venue just as the warm up band was playing their last song and was able to walk straight to the barrier. Genuinely the best gig i have ever been to, managed to hold out but had to join in with the singing by the time they played Souvenir.

Fucking brilliant band, brilliant audience and an amazing night.

I cannot wait until Saturday

Damon!

essjaybee

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 11:09:12 pm »
Totally loved the Derby gig, well worth the 390 mile round trip and I would do it again at the drop of a hat - I know what you mean about the satnav in Derby, at one point I was being told to turn right which would've had me drive right into a building, no road to be seen!!

I managed to have a quick word with each band member too although I was a bit starstruck - Nirvana were the reason I bought a guitar, Cable are the band that totally shaped my style and are my biggest influence, so I was a bit nervous!!

Back in the day I never managed to see them - I never thought I would - but I'm so glad these shows have happened/are happening. It made me smile to see Matt and Pete looking overwhelmed by the reaction early on in the set, I'm not sure they realised how relevant they still are to alot of people, certainly to me.

Highlights were Souvenir, God Gave Me Gravity, Vertigo, Pocket Promise complete with nahna nah nah singalong, Brothers & Sisters.....everything really, it was perfect (well almost perfect, a 3hr set would've been perfect!?).

Back to Manchester tomorrow (I have a spare ticket if anyone is interested?) to do it all again, and also say farewell to Hundred Reasons. Just hope this weather doesn't hinder the trip down!

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 12:16:33 am »
Been sticking some of the pictures i managed to snap up on my Tumblr page, you can check them out here if anyone's interested - http://damonhatesyou.tumblr.com/post/36313940401/cable-live-at-the-venue-derby-21-11-12 and more here http://damonhatesyou.tumblr.com/post/36314105181/cable-live-at-the-venue-derby-21-11-12 and here is the "unreleased and demos" CD http://damonhatesyou.tumblr.com/post/36314184006/cable-unreleased-and-demos-cd of course not forgetting the badges http://damonhatesyou.tumblr.com/post/36314349326/cable-badges

Greg

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 07:02:44 pm »
Normally I'd have something to say, I'm speechless, Awesome Derby gig.

Looking forward to Saturday now!