Author Topic: What is your Favourite Cable Gig???  (Read 19851 times)

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
What is your Favourite Cable Gig???
« on: August 11, 2006, 07:26:13 pm »
Well mine was at the Garrick in Derby on April 3rd 1997. They had just put out Blue Birds are Blue and When Animals Attack was about to hit the shops. It was the last big Gig at the Garrick too. It closed two weeks later (Very Sad Day).

Anyway the gig was Incredible everyone in the band was on form. They even played Signature Tune! (How Rare indead!!). After the gig Richie gave me two of his 'Well used Drum Sticks' and a poster of of the art work  for When Animals Attack. What a gig i've never seen anything come close to that and i've seen some BIG bands!!

I still have that poster and both those drum sticks nice one Richie!!

I wonder what the members of Cable favourite gig was?

Look forward to hear from anyone who was at the April 3rd 1997 gig at the Garrick and anyone elsers favourite gig

Greg.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 07:35:14 pm by Greg »

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
Re: What is your Favourite Cable Gig???
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:06:38 pm »
I saw Cable at the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth (if you look closely at the ticket in the miscellaneous gallery you?ll notice it was from that show) on October 13th 1998, they had cancelled an earlier show in Portsmouth due to family illness and I was glad to see them coming back down south again. They played loads of songs from the then unreleased Sub-Lingual album, a few people in the crowd kept yelling for Freeze The Atlantic but they didn?t play it.

I spoke to Richie after their set who told me it was his birthday that day and signed a flyer for me, Matt came out to watch a little of A (who were headlining) and spoke to me for ages, signed my ticket and t-shirt and took my picture with the camera he was carrying around with him (he even came out into the lobby of the venue to say goodbye when I left later).

Pete had sent me a signed When Animals Attack poster and some Cable stickers a year or so before and I sadly didn?t get to meet him to say thank you

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Pete Cable

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 02:25:12 am »
I remember we had to cancel a number of shows at that time, Wedgewood rooms being one, because my missus' mum died of cancer that week. Very hard times for me.
A few of my personal favourites are:
1. Reading 1995 - we'd arrived and it was the first time we'd walked out on stage to more than 50 people - in fact it was about 6 thousand!
2. Brixton Academy with Reef and Travis in 97 - we peeped thru the curtains before we went on and shit ourselves at the full to capacity venue that we'd always dreamed of playing.
3. Oxford Sound City 1998 - ok, we were 2nd fiddle to Echobelly, but we were Peeley's choice and the man himself announced us. We spent a brilliant evening in his company, the set was blinding we were treated like stars because of John. I cried the day he died and felt ashamed that I was in a proper job now and only 'playing' at being in a band. We owed John so much and I felt that real alternative music in the UK had lost it's only champion.
4. Cable's last ever gig, Dingwalls, May 1999. 700 kids sang along to every song and stormed the stage at the end. Marvellous. I put my guitar down carefully for once, stepped off the stage into the dressing room and cried like a baby, knowing that anything I was involved in musically after that, no matter how successful, would never come close to what that group had meant to me.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:12:45 pm »
I guess my favourite gig was the first time i saw them, supporing Feeder (how crap are they now...) in Edinburgh. Feeder were a pretty small band back then too so it wasnt too packed, basicly Cable outrocked Feeder big time, they just came on and made some amazing noise, loads of bass and great dynamics that worked so well, remembering i hadnt heard anything by them then, i was pretty much sold from that gig. Saw them a few more times after that in Edinburgh, just a shame their gigs were never too busy here, when i saw them in Glasgow, there was a bigger crowd at least.

Tim

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 05:47:26 pm »
For me it would have to be the 1st time I saw them at the Racehorse, Northampton 1996/7 (??) and being mesmirised for the duration. Don't think there was a stage, so everyone was on eye level (which was nice)! Remember Richie pummelling his minmal drum kit thinking "that kits never gonna last the set"!

Saw the last gig at Dingwalls. Again they were on fine form considering the circumstances but it was weird knowing that it would be the last time I'd never see the 4 of them in this arrangement again.

Cheers

Tim
Hold on there a goddam second!

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 11:31:28 am »
Ahoy!

I guess it's time for me to confess: I never actually saw Cable live!  :'( Tragic, I know!

I had tickets for an 'A' gig at the Varsity in October (I think) 1998, where the supports were Carrie and Cable (it must have been the same tour that Damon saw them at the Wedgewood rooms on), but for one reason or another I didn't go.  O.K. I'll be honest - they wouldn't let us in being as you had to be 16 and I was a fresh faced 15 year old with no fake ID!

I didn't really get into Cable until after they split so I never made the effort to catch them while they were still together.  I hope you can all forgive me!  Maybe (fingers crossed) Cable will do one last tour and I'll be able to right this grievous wrong!  If they were to tour again I'd be sure to go to every single gig to try and make up for not seeing them first time round.

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

nav

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 08:50:54 pm »
favourite gig? so many....i was lucky enough to be a young teenager living in derby whilst cable were around meaning i got to see them live many times including the last gig at the garrick....i think i saw them about 10 times in the end but favourites were:

last gig at the vic
a gig at the loft (warehouse it used to be called) which was an xmas gig
and the big city bash in 95 in derby where they headlined
actually come to think of it every gig was amazing....

i dont know if it was just youthful excitement but i swear ive never been to gigs as good as those since. When was the last time you went to a local gig and crowdsurfed?!?!?

Greg

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:36:31 pm »
Easy Nav,
                I was at every gig you mentioned you went to in Derby too. They were all amamzing. The Big City Bash was ace, I remember Darius Pulling down Mark shelldon's trouers on the middle of the stage. That was funny.

They were days. That Garrick Gig is still the best gig I ever been to, and I've seen some bands. The second best one was The Loft xmas do. Twinkie were great that night too. Elvis was on fire. I think I might have the set list from that gig some where. I remember Freeze The Atlantic being really good that night. I think Cable put a new inro on it that song and was amamzing.

I think I might know you, You didn't by any chance go to Littleover communtiy school at all did you? ::)

All the best

Greg.

nav

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 03:40:57 pm »
Easy Greg

Nice to hear from you...i had a feeling you were the lad from Littleover School. I didnt formally know you but knew OF you if you knew what i mean...how ace were those cable gigs back in the day....ahhh the memories. Are you still in Derby. Im in a band called YouNoGoDie at the moment who just did a last minute cover of vertigo which you can check out on

www.myspace.com/younogodie

you still drumming away?

Greg

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 01:11:50 pm »
Alright Nav,
                 I'm good thanks, I live round Leeds now. I am still playing drums, Except I do it for a living now. Yeah I've checked your band out, Martin is a friend of mine. I'm suprised he's not been on the forum yet. I think I might have had somthing to do with introducing him to Cable in the first place (I think). I rememeber taking him to See Cable for the first time at Union 1. (Which is now another car park in Derby). It was a good gig too.

I do go back to Derby form time to time and i've been meaning to get to one of your gigs. I will make it at some point, I keep checking your myspace. will see.

One thing that keeps becoming more clear is that, how lucky I (we all were) was growing up in Derby. At that time the Local scene was ace. No one who I have met since leaving Derby has been lucky enough to come from a city that has a good scene but a really defined sound as well. We're so lucky and that is one of the things I miss about Derby. I proud of my musical roots.

All the best

Greg.

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 06:47:33 pm »
3. Oxford Sound City 1998 - ok, we were 2nd fiddle to Echobelly, but we were Peeley's choice and the man himself announced us. We spent a brilliant evening in his company, the set was blinding we were treated like stars because of John. I cried the day he died and felt ashamed that I was in a proper job now and only 'playing' at being in a band. We owed John so much and I felt that real alternative music in the UK had lost it's only champion.

Oxford Sound City - what a gig! Although the twat calling for Ring Of Fire between every song was f**ing annoying! I love the bit at the end when Peel is handing back to the studio and he utters the immortal line: "Not only brill Steve but wizard also, from Oxford Sound City this has been...this has been Cable!!' Class!!

Peeley was a an undoubted legend but, Pete, you and the other 3 guys meant/mean as much to me and my friends as he did to you! I hope you read this - thanks man!

colderclimate

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 05:43:18 pm »
I would have to say the Dingwalls show was my favourite as it had all the elements of a fantastic gig.. great set, meaning, a completely mental audience and the band were well in to it.

I interviewed the band with a friend of mine at the Cheltenham Attic (I won't mention that Richey and Matt were royal pains in the ass and wanted to be eating kebabs rather than talking to fans) which should have been good but seemed kind of empty (it reminded me very much of Matt's description of Derby as being a "shit piss hole").

So yeah.. the best one would have to be seeing them at the Camden Barfly just before Arthur Walker came out.. they all dressed up like Sherlock Holmes and managed to pull the tweed thing off in what felt like a furnace.. grea tlittle set in a room no bigger than a shoebox. This was topped off by me rockin' out by a load of familiar-looking strangers around me.. I figured they were mates of the band so I asked them to get the setlist I got from the awesome sound guy signed for me.. turns out I got 'A' to run the errand for me!! Nice! Still, a most rock night that was..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 05:46:04 pm by colderclimate »

Benj

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 01:55:05 pm »
Saw them at TJs in Newport possibly in Autumn of 1997... was a fantastic gig. And in keeping with me drunkenly annoying people at gigs, I spoke to Richie and he kindly signed my (third) copy of 'Freeze The Atlantic'. Jesus, I must have been embarrassing to be around at the time. Especially after I tried to chat up Morgane Lhote out of Stereolab in broken French.

Twat.

I'm just off to go and give myself a dead arm.

Ben

kylecoare

• Novice Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 01:48:12 am »
Only got to see them twice in Leicester at the Charlotte.
They were two great gigs.
The best one was when they were on with china drum and carrie, another two good bands that didnt get the recognition at the time.

Great to see a site devoted to such a well liked band though, been looking for ages and this is the first site ive found!

Maybe we will see an increase in interest in the older brit rock groups!

Si

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 12:15:38 am »
I saw them at Reading ('96?) ran over to hear the remains of Hydra being played, got a couple of mates into them and went to see them much later in London but they cancelled due to some injury sustained on stage  can't remember what. Then I finally got to see them at their last gig WOW! Turned up about 5 hours early with my mate Dermot and was 4th in the queue. Waited forever it was a nice day and the beer I drank gave me a headache. Not the best thing for a cable gig. Ran in grabbed a couple of the stickers, a drink and waited forever for the support bands to make room.....