Author Topic: favourite cable song  (Read 26643 times)

RusselAndrews

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
favourite cable song
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:21:47 pm »
My favourite cable song is song 1, just curious what everyones favourite cable song and album is. By the time we have a few posts we should know what the most popular song and album is

Russel 

Corporate_Automaton

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: favourite cable song
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:31:20 pm »
Ahoy!

Favourite Cable song?  Hmmmm...

I think I'd have to say Ultra Violet - I love it!  But Land Speed Record is a close second.  But I also love Song 1!  It's too hard to pick - they're all my favourites!

Favourite album? I couldn't possibly chose between When Animals Attack and Sub-lingual!  Can I have both?!

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Greg

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 07:47:06 pm »
This is a Tuff one I don't think I'll be able to make up my mind! The first Single I got was Whisper Firing Line on 7" blue record maybe God Gave me Gravity or Sale of the Century or Seventy or Hydra or New Set of Bruises (What a great name for a song) not sure, there all to good!!

My favourite Cable Cover was San Quentin off the Brixton EP. Killer drum fills in that one, Richie on Fire!!

Tuff questions

Greg.

Pete Cable

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 02:34:29 am »
I think lots of songs had their individual moments, but for the sheer bloody minded, always finished with it, smashed your brains out with it live-ness, it has to be oubliette.
"concrete in your veins!"

and the best line in a cable song ever 'salt water reptile, dancing with a friend of mine'.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:53:01 pm »
Cable were one of those rare bands who never wrote a bad song, they were all brilliant. 

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 12:24:34 am »
How can I pick just one, I always really liked Song One, Bluebirds are Blue, Pocket Promise, Autobahn Head, Comprendez?, Signature Tune, New Set Of Bruises, Land Speed Record ? oh I love them all

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Greg

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:17:58 pm »
Its been seven years since I've heard any new recorded Cable. Eaven though some of these tracks are Demos and B-sides. They still sound fresh.

Tankyou for putting them on the site for everyone to hear!!

Greg. ;D

Tim

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 05:31:27 pm »
I always liked The Colder Climate, especially played live. Remember seeing them do this at the Point(?) in Oxford and during the quiet/breakdown bit Richie stood up and went outside for some air and came back and sat down at exactly the right time as the song begins to build up again. Genius!

Enjoying the new(ish) old very much as well. Ta very much for that.

Any chance of anything from the Radio 1 live stuff that they broadcast on John Peel's show? or session tracks if that's not too much too ask??

Cheers

Tim

Hold on there a goddam second!

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 06:22:53 pm »
"Any chance of anything from the Radio 1 live stuff that they broadcast on John Peel's show? or session tracks if that's not too much too ask??"

Funny you should ask Tim, as some of you might have noticed we now have a audio section on the site. So far we have unreleased songs and a couple of rare vinyl b-sides but I have been offered the Peel sessions and some live stuff so as soon as I have it it?ll be posted for your listening pleasure.

I?m curious as to how long it is until people are deciphering the lyrics to the unreleased songs in the Lyrics forum, anyway enjoy them.

Damon 

Greg

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 06:58:37 pm »
I was thinking the same thing earlyer.

Maybe Matt himself could shed some light on what some of the lyrics are.

what I can tell you is that I know for sure that Neil Copper is on 'Dead wood for Green' and some of the raw stuff (Lo-fi recordings) you have on there. Richie is on the rest.

Greg.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 09:22:00 am »
Just to say thanks for putting up those rare Cable tracks, ive heard the b-sides but the rest i never knew existed, its quite refreshing to hear some Cable songs that ive never heard.  Extra Limbs would have made a great album track with some more production! It sounds like an early one, some of the others sound like they were recorded around sublingual.  Some early peel sessions would be great too! 

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 06:06:34 pm »
I always thought that Vertigo would of made a great single and One For The Ladies stallion would of fitted really well on the Sub-Lingual album

Greg

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 06:37:51 pm »
'Midget' is the best Yeah!

Greg.

Benj

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 03:38:47 pm »
1. Sports Cars and Devil Worship
2. Oubliette
3. Comprendez?
4. Deadwood For Green
5. Pocket Promise
6. Do The Tube
7. Souvenir
8. Choice
9. Apparently
10. The (We Did The Music For The Sprite Ad) Blues

Best overall album was 'When Animals Attack'. It's still on regular rotation after 9 years or so.

On 'Deadwood...';  "Take the backseat for a while" still sounds like "Take the badger for a walk". Fact.

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 11:08:18 pm »
Ha ha,that's so true!! My one of those is, "Turd from the sky" and  "Will a monkey get what he deserves" from the Colder Climate!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:10:17 pm by Gojonnygogogogo »