Author Topic: Full album reviews from you lot!  (Read 25179 times)

siganturetune

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Full album reviews from you lot!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 12:58:14 pm »
cool, good to see hmv finally got their act together!!!
so far most of the feedback has been great - i mean, we appreciate that not everything is gonna be to everyones tastes, but most people can appreciate that we've tried to balance the fine line between diversity and not straying too far from the original, and i reckon we just about pulled it off...

and yup, IFP are brilliant (but then again i am kinda biased on that) , everyone should come down to london because they are even better live....

and i think im the only person who actually really likes that tom vek version - i think it'd be in my top 5 faves off the album....

Si

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 11:02:31 pm »
Just cancelled my hmv order, just put in a new one with amazon, i'd rather pay the extra, can't wait any longer :-\

gurdak

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 11:39:22 pm »
It is an excellent album, with a tribute album it's always going to be really personal the songs you like and don't, just because it depends on how much you loved the originals and if you like how the cover is done. The killerest expression version of choice really puts me in mind of early days A, and to me thats a good thing. As PlacidCasual says the album is put together really well. Great stuff and a well deserved and fitting tribute. Fav song - souvenir!

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 02:02:09 am »
And i'm still waiting  for my copy

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 12:05:43 pm »
Well I finally got a copy of the CD and have listened to it in the car over the last couple of days, I realise you can never please everyone with albums such as these and like most people I really like half the album while the other half leaves me wanting to just listen to the Cable originals.

From the first time I read the band line-up for the CD I found it odd that people like Hundred Reasons were not on it, sure we have Tom Vek and League of international super best friends but I still wonder why Signature Tune decided upon gathering mostly unheard of bands for such a album.

The album itself is good, dare I say it even very good but I still can?t help feeling that it could have been so much better. Fixit Kid, Swound!, Killerest Expression and The League Of International Super Friends supply the heavier end of the album very well whilst Dave House and Tellison provide the more brooding, darker side of the Cable catalogue.

Some songs here and there leave me cold, this is not to attack or bad mouth the bands and artists but straight covers have always left me yearning for the original. All in all it is a great album for a band that were robbed of the recognition they so rightly deserved.

Sadly a reunion still looks unlikely and I hold onto the hope that this album will revive a little interest in the band and bring them new fans and the respect they deserve.

Si

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 03:52:19 pm »
Loved Tellison's version of Song 1 and Stapleton's Sc&DW. Nice job Swound!, Lost Alone, Econoline and Get cape wear cape, fly. Rest were mediocre worst was Tom Vek's cover.  :P

siganturetune

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 10:36:49 am »
100 reasons didnt do it because their singer doesnt like cable and didnt want to do it. believe me we asked. unfortunately the same goes for the lucky nine too.
we didnt intentionally set out to pick certain bands - it was more a case of people getting in touch with us after the initial word had got out about the idea of us doing it....
and tom vek's tune is still oen of my favourites  ;D
personally im really happy with the line up - for me it reflects what a great 'scene' the UK has right now. i could happily put out a compilation album with  all of these bands and be chuffed with the outcome

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 12:30:40 pm »
I thought Hundred Reasons were big Cable fans, I remember reading a piece in Drowned In Sound about HR offering Cable a show at Brixton Academy - http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/4987

Peel was such a fan of the band and I?m sure he would of played the odd track but is it receiving any radio play at all?

Damon

siganturetune

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 02:31:28 pm »
yeah, the rest of the band are, especially larry the guitarist, but i guess if one of the band weren't into it then its not really fair of the others to ask them to do it regardless - this also happened with your code name is milo who were also gonna do a track...
we've been played on huw stephens, which was good - i was hoping dan p carter would play something, as i know he has a copy and is linked to the band in a few ways, but nothing as of yet...
as far as the radio goes - covers of obscure 90's alt rock bands dont usually tend to appeal to your average dj's remit, so to get anything at all was pretty good in my opinion....

PlacidCasual

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 04:29:28 pm »
I miss John Peel, he woudnt have hesitated to have played some tracks of it, regardless of the bands popularity.

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 05:21:12 pm »
I remember when X-FM used to be good too, just arn't any good alternative stations anymore, maybe we should start Sub-Lingual FM.

Damon!

Benj

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2006, 05:56:09 pm »
OK - mine finally came today, and it's had 3 listens already whilst I've been at work... here's what I think.

1 God Gave Me Gravity - In Flight Program - It's pretty good... I know there were some arguments a couple of months ago about the fact that some of the tracks were TOO faithful to the original, but that's not always a bad thing. Am very impressed with the crunchy guitar work and the timekeeping, which can't have been easy, is great! Not a huge fan of the vocals, though. 7/10

2 Choice - The Killerest Expression - It's turned into heavy metal-lite, but that's OK. It surprisingly seems to work - to an extent. The bassist is trying very hard isn't he? 6/10

3 Ultraviolet - Tom Vek - It was a pretty messed up time signature in the first place, but now Tom's gone and fucked it up even more. I love it though - a good example of what can be done if people try something a little bit different. Only reservation is that the distorted guitar at the end isn't crunchy enough, but that's just nit picking. 9/10

4 Sports Cars and Devil Worship - Stapleton - It was with a mix of excitement and dread that I listened to this one for the first time. One of my favourite Cable tunes done by one of my current favourite bands. At first I thought that the vocals were a little bit weak, but after repeated listens, you get used to it. Stapleton couldn't have made the song any better than it was though, and they've not done it nearly as well as Cable, so that's why it's getting an 8/10 instead of a 10.

5 Bluebirds Are Blue - My Awesome Compilation - Nah... I still don't like it, sorry. The vocals are really weak. Some might say that Matt's voice wasn't the strongest, but I can't get my head around this one. I know I couldn't do any better, but I don't have any tracks released on a tribute album to one of the best bands this country has spawned.
3/10

6 Signature Tune - Knives - Aaaaahhhh.... Cable v Helmet. What a prospect that would be. This is as close as you're going to get I think though. It's really good - I'm impressed. Remaining faithful to the original, but not overly so. I obviously don't own any other stuff by Knives, but this sounds as if they've turned the song into their own. It's not theirs obviously, but I doubt they'd want it any other way either. 8/10

7 Freeze The Atlantic - Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. - My God, he's twee isn't he? Sounds like Cable being played at a poolside bar in Magaluf. Might find it's way onto elevator music of the future. I liked it when I first heard it months ago... perhaps I'm just in a bad mood. 3/10

8 Honolulu - Swound! - Isn't this just Cable in a live session? A beat-for-beat-word-for-word cover, it's true, but it's really good. I'm just waiting for my favourite bit of the song before I give it a mark. It's currently at 7/10. ('....and I just want you, to take me for a RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!!'). I like. 9/10.

9 Do The Tube - The League of blah blah blah blah blah - What a crock of shit. Was the drummer inside a ball of bubble wrap? Fucking hell. Blasphemy. Fucking hell. Go back to your own bands and stop ruining it for others. 0/10.

10 Sale of the Century - Lost Alone - I'm sorry... did he just go 'Ugh' before the second verse? Yes. He did. I like this one, despite that. My eyes are starting to hurt because this font is too small. Let's speed things up. 7/10

11 The Clairvoyant - Econoline - That's more like it. I didn't even like this song when Cable did it, but now I do. Well done, chaps. 8/10

12 Oubliette - Fixit Kid - Not sure if he's singing the right words, but then again, I don't know if Matt ever did. Very good. Etc... 7/10

13 Song 1 - Tellison - I love the way he says 'weary', 'ready' and 'buried'. This one is brilliant. It's grown on me a lot over the months. But is it better than Tom Vek? No. But it's just as good. 9/10

14 Comprendez? - Pocket Promise - "Woo-woos" and 'Woah-oahs" aside, this is pretty good. Aside from the bit where the vocals all but disappear. And don't blame my headphones, they were expensive. 7/10

15 Souvenir - Dave House - How old is Dave House? He sounds about 12. Makes me realise how good the original is - and I don't mean it in a bad way - just a rediscovery kind of way. 6/10.

I'm going home now.

siganturetune

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 10:30:52 am »
cool, good to see some thought threw reviews rather than 'that one is shit' 'that one is brilliant'
and glad someone else likes the tom vek one as much as me!!!