Author Topic: Cable lyrics  (Read 91312 times)

Corporate_Automaton

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Cable lyrics
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:52:49 pm »
Alright, dudes!

How cool is this?!  A proper Cable forum!  Sweet!

Anyways, does anybody know a good source for Cable lyrics on the web?  Or do people wanna start posting up lyrics in this thread?

I've had a good look round the old interweb for lyrics but to no avail!  I've been into Cable for a few years now but can still only understand half of the lyrics!

Well, if anybody has any links or wants to post up some lyrics that'd be cool!

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
Re: Cable lyrics - Freeze The Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:48 pm »
Sadly right now this is the only source for Cable on the web but I think the idea of people posting the bands lyrics here is great, I thought I?d get the ball rolling myself

Freeze The Atlantic

Watch the light diffuse and turn your back on home, you reflect on how you did it on your own. So ride the evening smog and crack the ceilings off and hide your smile behind fifty fingers.

Now you look for compromise and everyone?s hypnotised, the spectators are ball games you devise, well there?s nothing left but glass and stone. When its achieved, buy me a new catch phrase.

Its time to change the number on your telephone and ask the questions of you?re told to die alone, so ride the evening smog and crack the ceilings off. Hide your smile behind fifty fingers.

Now you look for compromise and everyone?s hypnotised, the spectators are ball games you devise, well there?s nothing left but glass and stone. When it?s achieved, buy me a new catch phrase.

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Corporate_Automaton

Re: Cable lyrics
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 05:43:56 pm »
Cheers, dude! 

So now I can finally sing along with Freeze the Atlantic and not have to mumble the words I don't know!

O.K.  I'll have a stab at Bluebirds are Blue but there's plenty of gaps that someone will have to fill!

Bluebirds are Blue

Caught in another person's hands, making other people's plans, your plans are walk away, as fast as you can say, I've got a little news for you, you can read if you want to [not sure about that line], the reason in my mind, I'm sure I'll never find,

Day after day, I'm chasing the better times, behind you now, [I have no idea what he sings here!]

Where have the groovy people gone, now that groovy came along, am I the only one, [no idea what this line is], we're only half way through, bluebirds are blue, you should try it too, 'cause it's really nothing new,

Day after day, I'm chasing the better times, behind you now, [no idea!]

Caught in another person's hands, making other people's plans, your plans are walk away, as fast as you can say, I've got a little news for you, you can read if you want to, the reason in my mind, I'm sure I'll never find,

Day after day, I'm chasing the better times, behind you now, [no idea!]

[extended dischordant jam with sampled talking - incidentally, does anybody know where the sample is taken from?  It sounds like someone talking about gameshows?]

Day after day, I'm chasing the better times, behind you now, [no idea!] x 2

Well, that probably doesn't tell anybody anything new, but if someone cares to fill in my gaps that would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Corporate_Automaton

Greg

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 07:10:15 pm »
Hi Guys,
           Nice one working out the lyrics, I think I might be able to help you. hope this helps!

All the missing bit you could'nt workout I've put in Capitals

Cought in another persons hands, making other people's plans your plans are a wosh away, as fast as you can say I've got little news for you, YOU CAN READ IT BE ONE TOO

Day after day, I'm chasing the better times behind you now, NOW THAT YOUR WORRIED

Where have all the groovy people gone, now that groovy came along am I the only one, THIS PLACE IS BETTER THAN PUN, we're only half way through blue birds are blue you should try it too, 'cause it's really nothing new

The rest of the song is as you've worked out

As for the sample you can hear through the middle eight. Its several TV programs sampled and put together as one. By doing this you don't have to play for any copyrights on the sample (clever huh!)

look forward to do the next one ;)

Greg.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:33:29 pm by Greg »

Damon

• Global Moderator
Re: Cable lyrics - Bluebirds Are Blue
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:04:16 pm »
I again can help out here with the few lines and words that are missing.

Bluebirds Are Blue

Caught in another person?s hands making other peoples plans. Your plans will wash away as fast as you can say, got a little news for you, you can read if you want to. The reason in my mind that you?ll never find.

Day after day I?m chasing the better times behind you, now I?ll bet you?re worried.

Where have the groovy people gone now that groovy came along? Am I the only one who placed a bet upon, we?re only half way through, bluebirds are blue. You should try it too, it?s really nothing new.

Day after day I?m chasing the better times behind you, now I?ll bet you?re worried.

Damon

Pete Cable

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 02:12:14 am »
Chaps. You may be surprized to learn that not even the rest of Cable were privvy to the genius of Bagguley's twisted mind, so we never even learned the words to our own songs... However, we did publish a lyric sheet for WAA that you could get by writing to the PO Box...I later found from matt that he'd bullshitted a fair amount of them...but he did have to submit lyrics to our publishers Chrysalis... often words were written in the studio when we only had one verse or perhaps the chorus to the song but not the verses. So then I would stuff scribbled on paper. I know that for the filming of 'When Animals Attack' Matt had to hand over most of his lyrics to Mark Adcock the director of the film, so that he could write a script around them.
Damon pretty much has the words to blude birds nailed. I understand them to be:

Caught in another person's hands
making other people's plans
plans that wash away
as fast as you can say
got a little news for you
you can read if you want to
the reason in my mind
i'm sure i'll never find

day after day i'm
chasing the better times
behind you now
i'll bet you're worried

where have the groovy people gone?
now that groovy came along?
am i the only one
who placed a bet upon
we're only half way through
blue birds are blue
and you should try it too
it's really nothing new.

As far as I know, Freeze the atlantic goes:

You watch the light diffuse
and turn your back on home
and you reflect on how
you did it on your own
drift on the evening smog
it's cracked, the ceiling's old
you hide a smile behind
fifty fingers
now you're looking for compromise
and everyone's hynotized
model spectators of
ball games you devised
and there's nothing left
but glass and stones
spare me some change
and buy me a new catch phrase

it's time to change your number
on your telephone
and ask the questions that
you're told should die alone
drift on the evening smog
it's cracked, the ceilings old
you hide your smile behind
fifty fingers

I'll try and help out with more if you have any specific requests and also the story behind the song itself, which matt usually only divulged after a number of vodkas, but yeh, every cable lyric was telling a story... but i only know some of them!

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:49:29 pm »
Ahoy!

Now that really is cool - lyrics straight from the horse's mouth (if you see what I mean)!

Pete, if you're doing requests  - can I ask for the lyrics to Land Speed Record (sorry for being cheeky!)?

As for stories behind the lyrics, can I ask what the lyrics to Ultra Violet mean (if anything!)?  I'm sure there's some real deep philosophical meaning behind the song, but I can't for the life of me work it out what it could be!

Cheers,

Corporate_Automaton

Greg

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 12:01:27 am »
Hi Pete,
            You've got the Best bass sound ever!!.

I wondered if you know the lyrics and the story behind 'Signature Tune' 'Whisper Firing Line' and 'God Gave Me Gravity'. I have done my brian in for years trying to workout what the lyrics and songs were about. Any help would be great.

Thankyou.

Greg.   

Pete Cable

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 12:49:04 am »
OK...I found the lyric sheet I did for When Animals Attack.
So... the 3 songs Greg asked for go like this:

SIGNATURE TUNE
Changed your mind
Your money?s on the line
Changed your mind
You?re working over time
You?re lying to me
Safer than a diamond?s eye
Play a part for you and I
Want to stay anonymous
And share yourself with all of us
Rented out your privacy
And questioned your ability
Riding on a parallel
And all the world?s an open shell
Made to measure alibi
Time for you to say goodbye

The song has probably one of the most interesting stories behind it - there was a front page news story on the Derby Evening Telegraph about a woman who worked in the DHSS during the day but had a 2nd evening job as a stripper - anyway, the local council found out and got her sacked, saying her second job was 'innapropriate' for someone in a public facing position - she claimed she had to have a second job to make ends meet and stripping did more than just pay the bills - anyway, she took the local govt. to court for unfair dismissal and won.
Hence 'changed your mind, your working over time' and 'Want to stay anonymous And share yourself with all of us Rented out your privacy And questioned your ability'.

Whisper Firing Line:

Patience wearing thin
Starves our oxygen
The further that I see
Hills begin to bleed
Hold your breath for me
If I had your way
Barking at my door
Can?t be heard at all.
Whisper firing line
Poison on your  plate
Eat the words you hate
She can feel the world?s
Eyes on everyone
Words will not out run
A beggar and his gun
Drink the sea to see
The rust beneath the waves
Whisper firing line

Whisper firing line is about how rumours spread in the 'chinese whispers' style eventually causing more damage than the original story when it finally gets back to the people who really shouldn't hear it!

God Gave Me Gravity:

I?m an amateur in black
Here to buy my clothing back
Guilt slips from my fingertips
Royal endorsement
Gold elipse
A former name
Has lost the game
Old enemies have taken aim
Flies from a blank sign post
Turn to find a different host
Focus on a different sight
Doesn?t mean you?ll get it right
Nicotine mouth wash smile
Hides his head
Beneath the night
The litter on the streets
Shares the lazy time you keep
Victim number one
Hides his head beneath the sun
There?s a name for every way to change your mind
I guarantee you won?t be left behind
(You?re force fed, taken in)

As far as I can remember, this, and to some extent Souvenir, is about Matt and his then girlfriend Louise trying to run a 2nd hand clothes business - you know, retro chic and all that. What neither of them had antcipated at the time was just how cut throat the competition was and what tactics they used to drive them out of business. And they did - within about 6 months Hepcat clothing went out of business

Would have to listen to Land Speed Record to jog my memory, as only WAA is on the lyric sheet. Will see what I can come up with...

Greg

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 08:48:25 am »
HI Pete,
            Thanks so much for taking the time to 'Fill in the gaps' with those songs. My mind can rest easy now. I was pretty close with what Signature Tune was about but still really instesting to hear real story.

I alway thourght that The Line in the second verse of Whisper Firing Line was 'Eat the words you made' and not 'Eat the words you hate'  tunes out it was the other way round, Still they both sound cool. 

God Gave me Gravity (What a song). I remember looking in Hepcat when I was growing up in Derby a very classie shop. I never knew that Matt was one of the owners!

Loved the Bass part in 'From here you can see yourself' and its in Five. You and Richie were on fire on that one!

Have a great day Pete and thanks

Greg.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:25:12 pm by Greg »

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:38 am »
Ahoy, Greg!

You managed to work out what Signature Tune was about?  Impressive!  I haven't got any idea what any of Cable's songs are about - apart from maybe Seventy (about being old?) and Hexagon Eyes (a song about being a fly - now that's inspired!).

The bass part in From Here... is cool I agree - the last twenty seconds of the song always make me think of Primus, though I'm guessing Primus aren't a huge influence on Cable!  Are you saying From Here... is in 7/4?  Cause it sounds to me like 5/4?

Cheers,

Corporate_Automaton

Greg

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:56 pm »
Alright,
            NO ..noo..Its in Five. I agree with you. I Wrote that post quite late last night. I think I was thinking of that song but had a differnent one going in my head. I should go to sleep earlyer, This Forum is really addictive!

Greg. ;D

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:33:05 pm by Greg »

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 01:04:35 pm »
Ahoy!

No worries!  I agree with the sleep thing - I could do with a couple of days' sleep!

I'll be totally honest though I hadn't noticed that Cable were so into odd time signatures until you mentioned it!  The only odd time signatured song I'd noticed before was Arthur Walker (6/4, I think) but having listened to some Cable last night/this morning, I've noticed that loads of the songs have odd time signatures - sometimes changing time halfway through the song!

I guess the odd time signatures highlight just how good the rhythm section were - to stay tight when you're changing time throughtout the song takes some skill!

Cheers,

Corporate_Automaton

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 08:19:40 pm »
If and when we get to the point where we have all or almost all of the lyrics here would anyone like to see them posted on the main site?

Damon

Greg

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 08:30:50 pm »
That would be cool.
Greg. ;D