Author Topic: How did you discover Cable?  (Read 22753 times)

Jimbob

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: How did you discover Cable?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2006, 02:38:32 pm »
I'd heard some of Cable's tracks floating around, but heard them again on a Kerrang free CD. The same time I was buying that issue of the mag, I met my old friend from school Ollie. We got chatting about Cable and he informed me that his sister was 'going out with' Matt. I got into them massively and we went to the majority of Cable's Derby gigs - the highlight being the secret Christmas gig at the loft, which is one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

The first track that really caught my attention was probably 'Blue Birds are blue'

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2006, 04:08:28 pm »
That Loft gig was class!!! ;D

Jimbob

• Novice Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 04:26:47 pm »
It was class! I lost most of my body weight in sweat and it was the first time I ever saw Twinkie play live as well, which made the night even better.
I seem to remember the last song being 'Freeze the Atlantic' and there being some white foam.
The goodie bags at the door were ace two - I still have the posters on my wall.

superhorse

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 07:31:45 pm »
Another Derby fella here, saw them first supporting Salad (Jesus - I was 15 and didn't know any better) at the Wherehouse and they were so loud peoples' ears were bleeding. That was all I needed, saw all their Derby gigs from that point, as well as travelling to gigs elsewhere whenever possible, and bought everything they released. My name was in the credits for DLTUT and WAA (after I wrote some embarrasingly enthusiastic reviews for fanzines and the local paper) which still makes me so proud to this day, even if it was undeserved as I was just a fawning fan really.

I have three favourite bands - Pixies, Fugazi and Cable. All other bands are dogshite.

Pete Cable

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 01:35:52 am »
Marina Van Der Vlugt... I wonder where she is these days. She goes into that precious shortlist of 'female indie pop stars who hated cable'
She's at number 3, followed closely by Sonja Aurora Madan of Echobelly, but firmly in the number one spot is that bird out of Sneaker Pimps. They were unknown, below us on the bill and they had a power cut which ended the set prematurely. Bored cable fans talked loudly and threw stuff... then we came on, the crowd went bonkers and she cried backstage!

Alec

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007, 09:22:52 am »
I heard them when DLTU was released. I think DJs from Radio 1 played a track in each program. Does anyone else remember that? LeMacq(?), Jo Whilley and Peely, wasn't it? Actually, I probably heard the Peel sessions before then.

Managed to see them at Dublin Castle Camden in 1997 promoting Animals. Awesome! My ears were ringing for 2 days after that.

Stussy

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 11:01:20 am »
I first heard & saw cable when they supported AC Acoustics and Archers of Loaf at the Garage, i think I was 17- 18 so must have been around 1994 - 1995...

That night I invented the Carlsberg and Vodka cocktail... danced mentally to Cable, (and Archers of Loaf).

That night I Bought a long sleaved Cable T ,in what I always thought was a really gay light blue, and would only again where in bed or to one other cable gig. I also bought the 7" single with obliette and hydra that night even though i didn't own a record player ( i even bought a second hand record player which broke instantly to try and play it). finally got my dad to make a tape recording which then got played at every house party i went to for the next 2 or three years.

Looking back I think i went a bit fanboy about cable. Probably still am. Good to be able to share a story with other people who have the same opinion.

Alec

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 10:34:22 pm »
"Archers of Loaf" - my God, it's a few years since I thought about them.. I liked them at the time but can't remember any of their songs.

darthkrusty

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 12:42:23 am »
Had a friend batter my ears with them and at that point i prefered to discover bands for myself so i kinda shelved Cable for another few years until i chanced upon the Sublingual promo in a charity shop for 50p...recognised it, bought it and rinsed it.  Have been building up my whole collection ever since and have converted many other friends as i was!
Animals attack and Sublingual are probably the only two albums i have that i can always listen too without a) finding a boring track, b) singing along, c) being absolutely uplifted after, d) wanting to listen to it again