Author Topic: WAA on vinyl  (Read 33502 times)

Pete Cable

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: WAA on vinyl
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 12:23:36 am »
The rest  have all been posted now - soz for the delay, I've been poorly (caught it off the kids, as damon will testify!) Mmm... the locked groove - without attempting to sound like I'm some kind of genius, it was me that suggested it - I bought a Godflesh LP in about 1988 and it does it at the end of that album. I just thought it was amazing, so I suggested we rip it off - they end the album on some bone crunching feedback looped forever.
There was something else really cool I wanted to try that I found on a Kate Bush record - concentric grooves. Two grooves run 'parallel' on the vinyl and it's basically pot luck to which song you get depending on where you put the needle down - with the Kate Bush record, it didn't tell you this, so I bought it (it was a 12", maybe 'running up that hill' or something) and I played the a-side about 5 or 6 times and then when I put the needle on the record to play it again I suddenly found myself listening to a different song! It freaked me out, so I took the needle off the record and put it down again and it played the wrong song again. I was convinced I must have turned it over and maybe the stickers were the same, so I did it again and this time it played the main track again! Like you, I asked the guy who ran the record shop I bought it from about it and he said he'd had stacks of people bring copies back. It was him that told me it was a trick called 'concentric grooves'. I've also seen records that play from the middle out and Sonic Boom did a record that was designed to be played at either 33 or 45 for different effect and it worked pretty well. we loved all that stuff - coloured vinyl, clever sleeves, nice tactile stuff - the promos for sublingual with the tear open strip were one of my favourites. Clear CDs was another first. All the kind of stuff you can only try when your label has wonga!

PlacidCasual

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 09:27:54 am »
Nice one, im a sucker for novelty vinyls too, love coloured vinyl. One of my all time fave vinyls is a green and white splash effect hexagonal shaped vinyl by The Columbian Drum Cartell. The God Gave Me Gravity one was a new one too , ive never seen another record where you have to adjust the speakers to listen to each track. Genius.  Love etched vinyls too, anything thats different which adds some fun.  Ive heard of records that play from the inside out too, though i dont think i own one that does this.  I like records with locked loops aswell for mixing with, thankfully by the time id got some of these id learnt what a locked groove is after WAA  ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:49:01 am by PlacidCasual »

mogwai

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2006, 02:57:14 pm »
Hi Pete,it arrived safely this morning, thanks. I was a bit aprehensive as it is pretty warped (i suppose the attic is not the best place to store vinyl) but.....it plays perfectly, the floor was shaking and the neighbours wearing earplugs. Inside was one of the mailing list postcards that were always in your releases, the first line...."To get gig dates". That made me miserable, the fact that i'll probably never see Cable peform live again, (but ever hopeful). As i said before somewhere on this forum...Done Lying Down (remember them Pete?)  played earlier this year after nine years away and i never thought they'd 'avit again.

Thanks again Pete,

Mogwai.

Greg

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 11:21:41 pm »
Nice insite to the art work and stuff. Cable sleeves were always cool. I think my favourite were sleeves were the ones off WAA.

All the best
Greg.

Pete Cable

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 09:32:11 pm »
Last few of these left if anybody is still left wanting...
A small piece of trivia - all the art work for the inner sleeve/booklet was painted by one Daniel P Carter, just before he became bassplayer for 'A'. He is of course now a radio1 DJ, presenting the Rock Show.

Greg

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 02:06:56 am »
Wow, I never know that, The Art work for that is great, He did a great job on the Lucky Nine album sleeve too!

Pete, have you still got any of thoes WAA albums left?, If so I'm back in Derby almost every weekend and could pick one while I'm there. I would still pay of corse!

All the best

Happy New Year everyone

Greg.

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2007, 06:20:40 pm »
Yeah, any left still?? Not called in here for a bit and missed the initial run...