Author Topic: Marks out of ten for each track off the new Cable tribute album  (Read 67129 times)

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Marks out of ten for each track off the new Cable tribute album
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 08:28:21 pm »
I have to say at this early stage it basically did what all tribute albums invariably do and left me grasping for the original. Perhaps that's the point though and I await with interest for the other tunes.

The Tom Vek offering is a big one for me so here's hoping....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 06:11:13 pm by ChrisH »

siganturetune

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 10:55:07 pm »
i'm not gonna say too much, but i'll keep stressing the whole point when we started was to do a mixture of fairly regualr covers and more 'out there covers'. so it works as an album, i.e some are easily recognisable and keep the flow going, and other are more 'hhhmmm' moments.......and i wanted to start with a regular one, so the purists didnt whinge...... personally, there's nothing i hate more than a covers album that is so far removed from the originals that it just sounds weird, its like, i like cable for a reason.....how they sound.
you just wait till tellsion and get cape go up in the next few weeks.......then you''ll have a better idea of what the album is all about and how it will sit with each other. we sent outa  bunch of 5-6 track samplers earlier this month to press people, and the response we've had from them has been phenomenal, so yeah, hold steady, it will all work itself out and hopefully you will 'get' the idea when you hear the whole thing as 1...
album will be a normal price for an album. which means i havent worked it out yet!

PlacidCasual

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 11:31:24 pm »
A perfect example  of a cover is Cables version of Ring Of Fire.  It still sounded a lot like the original Johnny Cash version but Cable also made it their own song in a way by adding their trademark twingly gutairs and loud riffs. Perfect.

Dont get me wrong signature im still looking very much forward to the rest of the album, and i can see your point about keeping the flow with some straight up versions but i just prferfer when the band covering the song gives it their own trademark too.  That way i might feel compelled to want to check out some of there own work coz lets face it any band can do a staright up cover after a few practices.

I feel like im taking a dig here, i hope it doesnt come across like that coz what you're doing is a great thing, Im gonna buy it either way and im sure there will be stuff i very much like on it

Peace

Alistair.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 11:34:25 pm by PlacidCasual »

Rob

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 02:27:03 am »
hello everyone. i'm rob, the drummer from in flight program!

firstly i'd just like to say thanks to everyone for all the interest in the tribute album. when the idea was first announced there was a lot of cynicism in the derby music scene about certain bands' involvement (or non-involvement as the case may be) and i was really worried the kind of die hard folk that the majority of cable fans are would just write it off instantly. but your eagerness is excellent! and there are some sweet sweet tunes to come.

secondly i should explain a bit about why our cover is the way it is. when we were first asked to record a song (back in february), the deal was that we couldn't change the structure - it had to be pretty much as the original. so instead of doing something that sounded just a tad different to the original and run the risk of it sounding like a poorly played cover, we tried to make it as close to it as possible. after we recorded it, the not changing structure rule was loosened, but unfortunately we were too late! in hindsight, we would have loved to done it a bit differently, but as it stands we're still incredibly proud of it.

placidcasual (EDIT - sorry Alistair!), you mentioned that when you do a cover, you should sort of make it into the style of your own band - well to be honest, it is in the style of our own material. we are all huge Cable fans (my name is in the credits for Sub-Lingual, i did the "Sports Cars And Cable Worship" website back in the day) and are very much influenced by them. so really our version of the song, is the song in our style. it's just that our style takes a LOT of cues from Cable themselves!

we're really honoured to be able to be on a tribute for one of our all time favourite bands and all of your comments have been taken on board for the next cover we do... whatever that will be!

looking forward to seeing you all at the release show we've got planned.

xxx

(mr signature tune is going to kill me for writing this load of wussy shit.... )
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 02:31:54 am by Rob »
Open doors, open doors; all the simple things are yours.

ukjohnd

• Administrator
    • Hexagon Eye
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 02:39:09 am »
Great to see you here signaturetune and cheers for the mp3 link while the myspace track was getting processed.

I liked that "In Flight Program" track, would happily have that blasting on the car stereo, so seven for me, not my favorite Cable track either.

The sneaky peek at Swound!'s "Honolulu" was real grower, first listen I wasn't too sure but come the 3rd play loved it. 9/10.

Cables heyday were my missing years so didn't get into them fist time round, Damon gave me my Cable intro a couple of years ago, so I guess I don't have any sentimental memories attached to any of the cable tracks nor the muso credentials to consider the purity of a cover. So I'll just vote as to how much I like a track, the album release will be seeing me reaching into my wallet.

Keep up the good work Signaturetune,  if you get any details of the online retailers or any promo stuff you want pushing, let me or Damon know and we'll whack it all over the front page of this site.
Website Admin / co-founder

PlacidCasual

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 11:50:54 am »
Hi Rob

Cool man, as i said i didnt think it was a bad cover as a straight up version,  and if you's guys have taken a lot of influence form Cable, and the fact you had to stick to the original structure  might explain the similarities to the original. I just personally prefer when somethings done differently, i listen to a lot of techno (i know! i know! prob not most folks taste on here) and when a techno track is remixed by another artist it usually sounds very different from the original which may explain my persoanal view on covers. But i suppose covers are exactly that and remixes aren't exactly covers so i guess my expectations were wrongly placed.  Im glad you made a contribution ot he album and as signature says i will probabaly grow to like it more when its listend to as part of the album.

I do remember your website, it was one of only a few around then to get that Cable fix. I got so close to completing a website myself but then they split up and it didnt seem so worth it after that.

Peace

Alistair

scyne

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 01:38:42 pm »
re: the first offering for the cable cover album

It's a real shame that IFP couldn't have done more with the cover - it really is awful.

I mean, well done to them for learning the parts an all - probably quite difficult for a band like cable and their strange chord shapes. But just because cable aren't around, it doesn't mean that covers should replicate the original down to the last note. Make it seem kind of pointless you know!

If that was the brief that the band were given, I think that shows a lack of vision, not to mention a lack of respect for the band. Surely they should be allowed the freedom to do what they want and experiment with the original, which seems to me to be the point of doing a cover.

I think this project is a absolutely great idea though - can't wait to hear the  next songs to be released. Well done to those who thought of it...

siganturetune

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 02:29:33 pm »
actulaly, legally, we have to be very careful with the covers. we are fortunate because we have the songwriters themselves oking everything, which opens a few legal doors, but there's still a lot to be careful of.......it's a legal minefield this covers lark, especially when the original band has a fat ass publisher/ (now) major label behind it
a good example of this would be the smiths covers album that came out a year or so back, which i'm assuming did not have the backing of the smiths. death cab for cutie were meant to be on that, because because they changed lyrics, their song coudnt be used.....
also, your johnny cash exmaple, cable sound nothing like johnny cash, therefore their cover of ring of fire was bound to sound different - whereas a lot of band who like cable, not co-incedentally, actually do sound like cable - so when they do covers that's what happens. i also think the swound one is pretty close to the original, and there's a few other on there that do too.......But unlike you, i think in context that is a very good thing.
But like i say, wait for the final thing, hopefully there'll be something on there for everyone.........and im pretty sure most of the fuss will be kicked up over the weird ones to be honest, as i reckon they are most likely to piss people off!

4 days till the next one....

PlacidCasual

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:58 pm »
Im actually looking forward to the weird ones, an album full of bands that sound like cable playing cable songs would be dull.  A lot of the  best covers are done by bands that dont necessarily sound like the original. Johnny Cash covering Hurt, he sounded nothing like nine inch nails and thats whats good about it, it brought the song in a new light. The lyrics shouldnt need to be changed, just the style in which it is played otherwise i really see no point in it. 

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 05:55:57 pm »
Death cab for cutie were meant to be on that, because because they changed lyrics, their song coudnt be used.....

Haha, I absolutely love Death Cab but they always change the lyrics when covering Smiths songs don't they! They completely fu*k the chorus lyrics for Charming Man on their demo album!!

Joey Swound!

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 06:53:44 pm »
I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion on the song. I really like it, but obviously some of you dont. I expect most of you would feel the same about our version of Honolulu. I think its always going to be hard to please the diehard fans who visit this forum.

I think the worry of doing a radical version of a great song is that most people will probably hate it. In the end, the originals are all ace. It's very hard to know how to approach a challenge like this.

Whatever, I''ve been lucky enough to hear a few of the tunes and they all sound ace. Like Marc said, it's a good mix. I'm confident that it'll please most people. I personally can't wait to hear the full version.

Ciao

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 09:25:02 am »
Ahoy!

I'm probably being slow here, but where can I find Swound's cover of Honolulu?  I wanna have a listen - it sounds interesting.

As for the In Flight Program cover, I think they've done a real good job of covering the song.  Every single part is note perfect to the original.  It is a shame that IFP didn't have a stab at trying to put their own twist on the song but I understand the legal implications, etc.

Im actually looking forward to the weird ones, an album full of bands that sound like cable playing cable songs would be dull.

I totally agree with PlacidCasual, why would I bother listening to exact covers of Cable songs when I can just listen to the Cable songs themselves?

Credit to IFP though it was a very faithful reproduction of the original and I actually quite liked the vocals.  The singer did a good job as Cable songs are hard to sing (well, they are when you're as talentless a singer as I am!).

I will say this though, the Ultra Violet cover better be good or I'll be upset!  ;D

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Joey Swound!

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 09:48:27 am »
Our cover was made available for 0.1 seconds once. I think it's doing the rounds on the underground circuit with fans trading it left right and centre. No, I sent it to Damon cos I wanted his opinion and he makes me happy with the site. Others who have heard it probably have done so cos they are associated with the album in some way.

I don't really want anyone to hear it now as I'm scared of the panning it'll get. It's very close to the original, just a bit more energetic I guess with a few little quirks thrown in.

Believe it or not, Cable songs are very hard to sing. Matt could hit some amazingly high notes at times.

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 11:03:14 am »
Even after all this time Cable were a band that people either love or hate, people are very passionate and excited about the tribute album and understandably so. To be really honest I was initially disappointed when I heard about the album as i really wasn?t sure about some of the bands featuring on it, after hearing God Gave Me Gravity I was left wondering what other Cable songs have been ruined ? and then I heard the Honolulu cover and I started to feel better.

The truth is you can?t please everyone and no one is attacking anyone or any band by saying they don?t like the cover, when you play in a band (as myself and many others do on these boards) you put yourself in a position to be criticised but all we are doing here is saying what we think of the song and NOT the band.

I don?t see anything wrong with liking or not liking the songs and being honest about it, I still think that a straight cover is pointless and I for one would sooner listen to the original but is that opinion shared by everyone ?? NO, so please remember that no one is bad mouthing any bands here.

This is at the end of the day a Cable forum and that is the reason we are all here

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Rob

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2006, 11:20:01 am »
all of a sudden i feel very tired. i'm going to dream of banging heads against brick walls.
Open doors, open doors; all the simple things are yours.