Author Topic: London gig  (Read 34998 times)

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
London gig
« on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:15 am »
Just got back from london. Was an amazing evening and genuinely ace to meet some of the forum members, I have had to attend all the gigs on my own, so it was nice to have others to sing along to the songs with. Thank you guys, was a real pleasure to finally meet you.

If like me you attended both tonight and the derby show then you were treated to some truly great music. I was as pleased tonight as i had been at the derby gig with the choice of songs the band had picked. Matt was a little less vocal this evening than he was at the derby show but the inclusion of Ultra Violet and Whisper Firing line more than made up for it. Plus they were really tight tonight, it was almost like seeing them play as a teenager back in the day.

As i made a note of the set list at the derby show i thought i'd do the same tonight for anyone who might be interested -

The Garage set list -

1 Ultra Violet
2 Song 2
3 Blindman
4 Souvineer
5 Honolulu
6 God Gave Me Gravity
7 The Colder Climate
8 Pocket Promise
9 Sale Of The Century
10 Whisper Firing Line
11 Seventy
12 Brothers and Sisters
13 Vertigo

Encore -

1 Freeze The Atlantic
2 New Set Of Bruises
3 Oubliette

So, what did you guys think of this evening?

(a very tired but happy) Damon!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:44:05 pm by Damon »
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Si

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: London gig
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40:49 am »
Cool meeting you too Damon, I have to say the night was the best gig I've been too, better than the farewell one in '99  because the band clearly enjoyed themselves. The atmosphere was amazing, although I can't compare it to the Derby one because I wasn't there. I haven't sweated that much ever, and I've lost my voice this morning.

Was nice meeting Daryl and Rowan too, you guys are ace.

Let's hope for another gig sooner rather than later!

JamesVoltage

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:43:29 am »
They were indeed amazing last night. Derby was especially cool because I got to interview the band, see the first show in all that time, etc etc. But last night there were about 15 of us there together which made it really quite special.

They rocked pretty hard didn't they? Wonderful to hear Ultraviolet and Whisper Firing Line.

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:43:42 pm »
My voice is completely gone too. I noticed that there loads of people recording the show, so i'm guessing that much like derby gig there will be footage up on youtube at some point. A guy standing near me recorded the entire gig, so fingers crossed that appears online. 

Derby was a unique gig because there was genuine love and appreciation for the band and last night was the friendliest show i have ever been to. I ran into Richie when i got there and we stopped and spoke, the forum members i met were all genuinely lovely, friendly people and even the merch guy recognised me, shook my hand and chatted.

I'm utterly exhausted today and the drive back was a nightmare. Driving through London on a Saturday night isn't that much fun. The sat nav decided to finally die and took me on a fun detour through London and the countryside that was so annoying i eventually pulled over just so i could smash it to pieces on the side of the road but i wouldn't have missed it for the world and had an amazing time.

Whether or not that was the last Cable show, it was an awesome night and i'm a tired but very happy chap.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:46:26 pm by Damon »

colderclimate

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:46 pm »
Amen to that.

Pretty surreal getting there and just seeing Richie milling around. Then Dan from A. Then a couple of the guys from Hundred Reasons. I had a smile on my face from start to finish and I haven't had that at a gig in a long, long time. Sound was great and Matt's vocals seemed to be on top form - it really sounded spot on from where I was at the mixing desk so I'd love to hear a decent recording (chance of a soundboard??)

I'll scan the setlist I was given if anyone's interested?

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:50:01 pm »
You got a set list?!? Thats fucking tits, very jelous. When i saw them play back in 98 as a teenager i asked one of the venue staff if i could get one of the set list's and as he handed it to me someone behind me in the crowd grabbed it before i could. I spotted Dan from A last night but didn't realise some of the guys from Hundred Reasons were there too.

BoXofSlicE

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »
I think last night topped the derby gig cable were fantastic!  Felt like I was on there two minutes though before having  to get last bus back.

Maybe I was abit knackered by the end of the set but when they came back out I thought they were about to play a new song before freeze the Atlantic kicked in, started getting excited! Hopefully we get to do this all over again soon!

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »
The band were much tighter last night then they were at Derby but the Derby show was their first one in 13 years and there was so much love in the room that night. I arrived 10 minutes before they went on and managed to get to the very front and the entire room sang along to every song. The Derby show was a little sloppy but it was just such a special night and i honestly don't think any gig will ever top it for me. Derby was filled with floods and the 5 hour drive was exhausting but i wouldn't have missed it for the world.

As i was walking out of the Derby show i took my phone out and posted "Motherfucking Cable" on facebook, by the time i got back to my hotel Pete had liked it and asked what i had thought of the show, which made me smile.

It took me 3 and a half hours to drive back to Portsmouth so i can't imagine how long it took you to get the bus back to Derby
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 05:50:13 pm by Damon »

colderclimate

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 05:57:43 pm »
I took a friend of mine along last night to see what I had been banging on about for a couple of months since the HR shows.. not normally his kettle of fish but he enjoyed it. Still, I had a thought.. this was what, their 5th gig in the last 14 years? I know if you're a professional musician you probably never totally forget but I was very impressed by that show.. probably the biggest headlining show I've seen them do and it sounded great - credit to the Garage I suppose!

As for HR, yeah.. Ben and Larry were there - Ben was helping set up Richie's kit just before they came on which was a bit weird to see. I was just about hoping for some "get your mates along" guest appearance but they kept this one slick unlike the batshit crazy end of the Dingwalls show.

BoXofSlicE

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 06:16:47 pm »
4 hours on the bus, an hour of that is getting out of London then straight up m1 with a detour to Leicester.  It's not too bad but I left straight after the gig to get bus and walked through my door at 3.50 this morning. Glad I had no plans today! Annoying that there are no late trains

Greg

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 06:26:17 pm »
You all know that Cable recorded last nights show :)

Last night was ace. Best show they've done since reforming.

... And what an opener!!!

Also I wonder what is next for them?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:27:48 pm by Greg »

daryltaylor

• God Gave Me Gravity
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 08:27:03 pm »
Well what can I say about last night, absolutely amazing night. Also nice to meet Si & Dermot from the forum, top blokes! Well me & my Girlfriend got to the Garage  just as it opened hoping to meet the band so I could get my vinyl & cd's signed. Unfortunatly I found the merch stand first & accidently bought a red t-shirt, 2 art prints, Cold Puma's album & Mikro Spiti cd. Have to say the supports were both brilliant!

Now my luck was definitely in as all the band signed my stuff which made my year as I did take loads. As for Cable they were amazing playing some songs i had'nt heard for years. Vertigo & Oubliette being highlights. Now for the really lucky bit, thought I'd ask the crew bloke for a setlist but they'd all gone so walked back to the missus only to find a Cable backstage pass on the floor (get in). Now that was cool but just as we were leaving I get a tap on the shoulder & it's the crew guy who's found me a setlist (thanks m8)!

Thanks to everyone who made it such a great night!

Daryl.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:31:10 pm by daryltaylor »

nardothe9

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:52:44 pm »
just flown home from london !!!! , what a fucking night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! waited so long for this , met matt and darius as well , im meant to be a 33 year old insurance worker father of 3..... , my neck is fucked from head banging and im still half drunk .  i met some of the best people ive met in a long time.  it would be amazing if the guys could do it again one day!

PlacidCasual

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 09:13:50 pm »
Last nights gig was genuinely amazing!  Shame i didn't get a chance to meet any of you fellow forum members, by the time me and my mate found our way to the garage cold pumas were already on and i wanted to catch them so we were too late for a pint at the cock.  Shame as it would have been nice to meet some of you's seeing as i've been posting and talking to you's on here for 7 years!

I'm nackered too Damon, what with all the getting to the airport and flying home and then another 2 buses from there to reach home, I'm aching all over from jumping around like a fanny and walking around London taking it in (great city).  But it really was worth it. 

And yeah they were much tighter than derby i think, they seemed more confident too.  Colder climate and whisper firing line were my highlights, but the whole set was excellent.  After seeing these songs live and hearing everyone sing along it really shows how big and chanty some of their choruses are.

Again, it was a great atmosphere and nice to see such a big turn out. 

Derby was special, really was, but in some ways i think this one actually topped it.

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:11 pm »
I know that Matt stalks this site and Pete checks in from time to time, i really hope that when they do they read these comments just so they know just how loved and appreciated that band is.

Oh and as for highlights, it has to be Whisper Firing Line. I knew that they would be playing pretty much the same songs from the Derby show but it was awesome to hear Whisper Firing Line being played live once again.