Author Topic: New Cable?  (Read 12824 times)

BoXofSlicE

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
New Cable?
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »
Will they play/record anything new or is this literally a one off?

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
Re: New Cable?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »
From speaking to Matt recently i got the impression that they won't be doing anything new and these shows really are a one of thing.

"Q Will these shows be a one off or is there a chance you guys might do more shows in the future?

A It?s pretty unlikely.."

I remember posting about this subject ages ago (and i'm probably the only one who thinks this) but i really don't want them to record anything else, don't get me wrong another album or two back in the day would have been awesome, what those four guys did was genuinely something really special and they left behind three timeless albums. Trying to do something new could be great BUT if it wasn't it would spoil the legacy that they originally left.

Am i wrong?

Damon!

Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

PlacidCasual

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:09 am »
Damon, sorry but you are wrong!

I don't doubt the genius that is oozing out of every band member,  and the chemistry between them for a second.  I really do believe that if they ever do go on to record new material that they don't have it in them to write or record bog standard material, remember this is the band that gave us memorable bsides that were better than most other bands singles.

This world really needs new cable material to blast away a lot of bland music cobwebs that have followed since (don't get me wrong, great bands have come out since but in limited amounts).

I know what you are saying, but like i say i genuinely believe in cable to not disappoint even after all this time.  Pink Floyd made some amazing albums, there was 16 years between dark side of the moon and the wall, ok so they never split during that time but with enough practice the creativity would come flooding back im sure.

knifetotheeye

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:54:57 am »
I'm firmly on the fence here!

I totally see where Damo's coming from - imagine if they did a new album and it wasn't very good?

BUT!

I remember reading an interview with (I think) Pete, who said they were under pressure from the label to write songs to pretty tight deadlines, and obviously the results speak for themselves. Imagine what they could come up with now in their own time?

martin_lindau

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »
I'd be quite interested to hear what it sounded like.

It's hardly going to be pop music, considering they are all now pushing or past 40 years of age. A return to the darker moments of When Animals would be ace for me...

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »
I genuinely love Cable, they provided the soundtrack to my teens and early 20's but i would hate to see their perfect collection of work tainted. They are all in their 40's now, until recently haven't played together in yeeeeeaaars and probably feel cheated and fucked over by what happened to them at the end of the bands time together and wary of labels BUT (and i have been thinking about this) i'd be curious to hear 1 or 2 new songs that they had written. The internet has changed everything and it would be pretty easy for them to just upload a handful of new songs to their site, tumblr, band camp etc and bypass the industry completely and just do it for themselves and the fans.

I will be hugely surprised if this happens though, from talking to Pete and Matt and reading press that they are doing at the moment it really seems unlikely. Comebacks are the thing of late though, the Pixies and Pavement showed that after many years bands can come back and still be awesome ... whilst Smashing Pumpkins got even more pretentious and made music that no one cared about (which is a shame as they wrote some pretty ace stuff back in the day).

Maybe doing these shows will spark something or perhaps they are just a last hurray, either way i am genuinely really excited to see them and hear the songs played live once more. There aren't many bands that i'd journey to Derby and London for in the same week.

Damon!

PlacidCasual

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 02:45:20 pm »
I do completely see where you are coming from and why you are saying it.  It would indeed be a bit dissapointing if they went onto make a medicore album and ruined the legacy that was.  However, i stand by my point that i just have so much faith in them as a band and their originality and talent to genuinenly believe they do not have it in them to write or record a bad record even now.   Maybe i'm overly optimistic?  I reckon if they test tried a few songs like you say, such as an ep to start with, that might be a safer option.  They could then see what the reaction would be like before commiting to an album.  Of course i realise that this is still a long way off ever happening and still pretty doubtful anyway.  But fuck it, yeah i'd personally love another album out of them!

Greg

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 07:09:10 pm »
Who needs a label when there is pressure from fans to record something new. :)

I don't think Richie wants to play drums after this tour finishes, Which is sad. He's flip'n amazing!

tattooedfeathers

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »
personally, new cable material would be incredible as I cant see how it would or could possibly detract from what they had done. Such is the gap, it would be just another chapter, wether it was better or not as good as old material would be irrelevant as nothing can tarnish the legacy they left. However, I doubt for one second any new material would be a let down, its just not in the genetics of cable to disappoint.It would be relevant as ever, certainly better than any of the tripe we have to endure these days.

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
I have always said that i reeeeeeeally didn't want them to do anything new but after seeing them in Derby on Wednesday i can see that now would be the right time for them to do something and in all honesty i now really hope they do, sadly i don't think that it will ever happen but i'd gladly hand over my money for anything they did.

Greg

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 11:49:33 pm »
Saw this review about the Derby gig:-

http://louderthanwar.com/cable-derby-live-review/