Author Topic: Should have been bigger?... Playing again?  (Read 18239 times)

mogwai

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Should have been bigger?... Playing again?
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:56:30 pm »
Great site, Cable...a fantastic band, one of three cruelly underrated bands from around that time that really didn't get the recognition they deserved. The other two?......Compulsion and Done Lying Down, anyone agree/disagree? Done Lying Down were 'avin it again at the Bull and Gate a couple of months ago, after nine years away, please Cable........follow their lead.

Corporate_Automaton

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Should have been bigger?... Playing again?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:28:49 pm »
Ahoy, Mogwai!

I totally agree, Cable should have been massive (also, they should reform!).

I did check out Compulsion's 'Future is Medium' because of rave reviews and a lot of people saying that they were underrated and whatever and I've gotta say that I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was that great.  Don't get me wrong, Future is Medium wasn't bad at all, just not as good as the hype had me believe. Having said that, I'm gonna go put Future is Medium on now and have another listen!  Maybe I started in the wrong place with Future is Medium?  Do you recommend any of Compulsion's other stuff?

As for Done Lying Down, I've never heard of them so I will go and check them out and report back!

I would like to add to your list of cruelly underrated bands, if I may, China Drum (later 'The Drum').  Their first two albums were good, solid power-pop, but their last album ('Diskin') was a masterpiece which should have brought them much fame!

Thanks, dude,

Corporate_Automaton

PlacidCasual

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:51:56 pm »
I remember seeing china drum when they were on tour with cable, i quite liked them.  I remember hearing that china drum were huge in countries like Germany, playing huge venues over there. 

Greg

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 03:58:56 pm »
DAM RIGHT Mogwai, I second thati!!!

Let's see what the future holds!!

Greg.

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 05:04:33 pm »
I remember seeing china drum when they were on tour with cable, i quite liked them.  I remember hearing that china drum were huge in countries like Germany, playing huge venues over there. 

Ahoy!

So China Drum were big in Germany?  I never knew that!  Well maybe they did get the fame they deserved - just not in this country! 

If anyone wants to get into China Drum, get their first two albums (Goosefair and Self Made Maniac) before you get Diskin because Diskin is pretty different to their earlier sound.  I thoroughly recommend Diskin, though - a proper classic album (in my humble opinion, of course)!

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

mogwai

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 08:50:40 pm »
Hey Corporate, you should try getting hold of Compulsion's first full album, Comforter, (on one little indian) but get the limited edition 2cd set which includes their first two EP's originally released on their own Fabulon label, vinyl only. The 2cd set is available fairly regularly on Ebay and normally sells for only ?2/3 and, i promise you won't be disappointed. You could also check out their first release on one little indian which was a mini album of six tracks called Safety.

Cheers,

Mogwai.

PS how did you enjoy todays listen to The Future Is Medium?

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 09:23:47 am »
Ahoy, Mogwai!

You know, I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting Future is Medium!  I'm gonna listen to it again today, I think!   I'll track down a copy of Comforter off of eBay - I guess I can't really go wrong for a couple of quid!  Thanks for the tip.

I tracked down a Done Lying Down website and had a listen to a few mp3s on there - I like!  I think I'll try and track down more of their stuff.  They sound a little Therapy?-ish to me which is no bad thing!

Cheers, dude

Corporate_Automaton

Johnny Mac

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 03:45:29 pm »

If anyone wants to get into China Drum, get their first two albums (Goosefair and Self Made Maniac) before you get Diskin because Diskin is pretty different to their earlier sound.  I thoroughly recommend Diskin, though - a proper classic album (in my humble opinion, of course)!

I thought Diskin was a horrendous album. I tried so hard to get into it but it is just totally 'tuneless' to me. yuk yuk yuk. Each to their own though.

What are the guys from China Drum doing these days anyway?

Should have been massive!

Greg

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:42:02 pm »
Polishing Glass pots and pans.

Johnny Mac

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:18:16 am »
Ah well, that's that cleared up  ;)

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 12:03:06 pm »
That?s probably what happens when your best known for a Kate Bush cover

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

BoXofSlicE

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 11:16:21 pm »
Great site, Cable...a fantastic band, one of three cruelly underrated bands from around that time that really didn't get the recognition they deserved. The other two?......Compulsion and Done Lying Down, anyone agree/disagree? Done Lying Down were 'avin it again at the Bull and Gate a couple of months ago, after nine years away, please Cable........follow their lead.

I havn't heard either of these bands before, are there any samples anywhere for me to check out?

As for bands that should of been bigger or playing again...hmmm i'll go with Bivouac. Then maybe Failure because by the time heard of them they had already split-up.

Also more recently i will say that scottish band Senator. I'm pretty sure they have split up now, they released one album which was ace, it was actually produced by Steve Albini.

Heres a link to one of their tracks if you have never heard 'em   

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:29:37 am by BoXofSlicE »

Pete Cable

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 02:02:14 am »
Good lads, the Drum - their TM Paul showed up at Martin's funeral and he does something very sensible now, like IT, but I was too drunk to remember. (this was the party after, not the service!) they weren't that big in germany - we toured germany with them, which is how we met and they were playing places that were 200-300 capacity. One thing was certain though, the german fans were very loyal and totally up for it, so the gigs always went off like a bomb, kids there weren't worried about whether having a good time was cool or not.