Author Topic: Darius Interview  (Read 27904 times)

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
Darius Interview
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:50:15 pm »
Darius has very kindly agreed to answer your questions in an exclusive SubLingual interview, just post your questions and I?ll collect them in a couple of days and put them to the man himself.

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Darius Interview
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 07:55:17 pm »
Hi these are some questions I wondered about for some time.

I would really like to know what happend to the flashing Cable logo from the Sublingual tour? dose each member of Cable own a letter? and who owns the fifth?

Also what was Darius's guitar rig he used for Cable? Amps, guitars and peddles? I remember he had a guitar made for the Blue birds are blue single (something like that).

Was there any tricks he used in the studio to get his sound and how did he get his sound?

What has Darius been listening to the last few years and whats is his favourite album/ band at the moment?

What dose he think to the British music scene at the moment?

Dose he have any plans to anything musical at all in the next few months/ year?

Thanks look forward to hearing what he has to say?

Greg. :)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 07:59:27 pm by Greg »

Greg

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 12:12:20 pm »
Hi, I've got some more questions for Darius, if thats ok

Whats Darius's favourite Cable song/lyric?

Whats the story behind Sublingual? how did the band arrive with the idea for the album? and whats the story behind the album songs/ concept?

What Darius's favourite song/ album ever ( not Cable)?

Whats Darius's favourite Cable gig?

I hope everyone else asks some qestions. Darius is a really intresting musician and a great guitarist on the british music scene and its not everyday you get to ask good musicians questions.

Thanks

Greg.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 04:01:21 pm by Greg »

PlacidCasual

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:02:12 pm »
Id like to ask him a few.

Whats you're favourite / worst gig you played with Cable?

If it hadnt been for the unfortunate demise of Cable, were there many future plans for the band, i.e more tours, new music, more singles from sublingual to be released etc?

Do you have a personal favourite Cable album?

Well thats all i can think of for now  :-\, if i can think of any more il post them

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:45:05 pm »
Ahoy!

So you're getting an interview with the great man himself - what strings did you have to pull to arrange that, Damon?!  O.K. Here's a few questions:

Was it a conscious decision to write so many songs in odd time signatures (5/4, 6/4, etc.)?  Why is 6/4 so prevalent in Cable songs? [Sorry, but since Greg pointed out the odd time signatures I've become obsessed with them!]

How did you get the guitar sound on the start of Song 1?  It's really odd - like some kind of chorused feedback!

Flattened fifths/augmented fourths seem to appear in your guitar parts quite often (e.g. in Hexagon Eye, Pocket Promise, the intro to Land Speed Record, etc.) - are you not worried about summoning the devil?

Most of the guitar playing in Cable songs is quite restrained - did you never feel the urge to put a proper metal solo in a song with shredding and tapping and everything?!

Favourite non-Cable album?

Favourite Cable song to play live?  (Pete Cable said Oubliette - does Darius agree?)

Right, that's a few for now, I'll add more later if I think of any.  I even resisted the urge to ask if Cable would pretty please play a few reunion gigs!!

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Greg

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 03:54:19 pm »
Thats the spirit people. keep it up!

Have a good day!

Greg. ;D

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 12:11:02 pm »
Thank you everyone for posting your questions, the interview will be posted on the main site in the next few days. Richie has been in touch and has agreed to answer some questions for us so if you have any questions that you?d like to ask him or any messages you would like to pass on then post it all here or e-mail me and I?ll pass them on.

I?m still honing my interview skills but this is the only place where we can interact with the band members themselves so lets not waste this opportunity, GET POSTING!

Damon

Greg

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 04:06:25 pm »
Wow, Look forward to hear what Darius has to say and now Richie.

I've got a few questions for Richie,

Who are his infuences? favourite drummers/ songwriters?

When did he get into music? What bands did he listen to growing up?

Whats his favoutire album/ song of all time? (Not Cable)

What dose he think about the British music scene right now?

What advice/ tips, would he give to any up-and coming drummers?

How many Big Tracks dose he have now?

Thanks, Damon. Richie was a big infuence on me musically really look forward to this one!

This site is ace!

Greg. ;D

PlacidCasual

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:00:53 pm »
Likewise, his drumming was a huge influence on me too, anyone that can keep in time with God Gave Me Gravity has to be good! Not even my drumming tutor could work it out when i played him the track after several listens. 

Greg

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 06:43:33 pm »
God Gave me Gravity is an easy one. Its also one of my favourite Cable songs.  ;)

Good choice!

Hey Placidcasual are you from Derby if so who's your drum Teacher?

Greg.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:01:24 pm by Greg »

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 12:35:23 pm »
Ahoy!

There seems to be quite a few drummers on this forum!  Did Cable inspire you all to start drumming, then?

Sorry, I don't have any meaningful questions for Richie (though, on reflection, my questions for Darius weren't especially meaningful!).  I will say that the drum sound throughout When Animals Attack is amazing - the kick drum sounds sweet!  Also, I love the drum intro to Ultra Violet!

I guess I would ask Richie:

What is your favourite Cable song to play live?

Favourite non-Cable album?

Listening to Richie's solo stuff (which I really like, by the way) on myspace - are Foo Fighters a big influence on you?

Favourite ever gig you played with Cable?

Best gig you've ever been to (i.e. not played at)?

I'll try and think of more questions!  Oh yeah, Greg, just what is a Big Track??!

Cheers,

Corporate_Automaton

PlacidCasual

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 01:23:54 pm »
Hey Greg

No im not from Derby, im from Edinburgh. I was only  just starting to learn to play drums when i tryed to learn God Gave Me Gravity, my tutor was pretty good but Rock music wasnt his thing really, maybe thats why he coudnt work it out.
Isnt Big Trak some odd remote controlled trucks or something that Riche used to collect?  He used to have a site about his collection years ago,there was a link to it from that long gone Cable site that i foget the name of.  Come to think of it that site, had some of the early peel sessions on it, but back then i only had a 28k modem so it took forever to hear them, so i never did.

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 02:39:11 pm »
I remember those sites, there was Cable i.e., The Unofficial Cable Home Page and of course the official Cable site (which for an official band site had the longest and most confusing url in the world)

Both Cable i.e and The Unofficial Cable Home page had loads of MP3?s including rare demo?s, live tracks, peel sessions and loads of other stuff. It?s a shame they are gone and it was through a lack of Cable on the web that I created this site.

Damon

Greg

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 09:30:50 pm »
Easy,
        placidcasual, Its a great feeling when you nail that groove or pattern thats done your head in for the past week. Nice one!

As for the Big Track, its a programable moon buggie/ truck kinda thing. They really are good fun too. I'm sure Richie can elaborate more on it.

Being from Derby I was lucky enough to study with Neil Cooper. He showed me some real great techniques that helped me refine my playing no end. Thanks Neil, nice one. He's one of the reasons why I chose to do what I'm doing now.

I bet if you asked Neil about his Cable days I'm sure he'd be up for a chat about it. If I remember correctly he may of produced some of the early Cable demos that got them signed. (I Think). He'll know all the facts.

Richie's Snare sound on When Animals Attack is amazing. I think his snare sound is his signature. I spoke to Richie some time ago about that snare he told me that he'd sold it (Gutted). I would bort it off him any day. I think it was a Ludwig standard size 14" with a Remo Ambassedor on the snare side and a CS batter on the beater side and it had die cast rims as well. I saw it in the Derby drum shop one day, I had to check it out.

I think its safe to say that Cable had some dam good drummers with strong musical personalities. Which I think really played a big part in there sound.

Hope everybodys well

Drums are the best. :D

Greg.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 10:07:21 pm »
Agreed, Neil and Ritchie were oustanding drummers, very unique, gave Cable that powerful driving force.