Author Topic: Was Sub-Lingual a concept album?  (Read 14246 times)

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Was Sub-Lingual a concept album?
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:54:13 pm »
Was Sub-lingual a concept album? I've always wondered whether it was and whats the story behind the album and how Cable arrived at the idea for it.

I really like the art work to. Having to de-code the circets to find out the song stuctures?

It would be cool to find out what the rest of the story was with The spaceman in the video for 'Arthur Walker' and what his mission was? To build a band to bring Rock to the universe? (Who knows).

What ever happend to those big flashing letters of the Cable logo that were setup behind the band on there last few tours do they each have one? They were very spinal Tap. ;D

What dose everyone else think?

Greg.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:00:09 pm by Greg »

Damon

• Global Moderator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
Re: Was Sub-Lingual a concept album?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:58:38 am »
I remember reading in either Kerrang or Raw back in the day that Pocket Promise was about Matts house being broken into shortly after he bought it.

Damon
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 02:29:20 am by Damon »
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Benj

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:45:08 pm »
Nah.

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:45:46 am »
Ahoy!

This idea really intrigues me.  I've never considered Sub-Lingual to be a concept album but I'm open to the idea that it might be.  Do you think it's a concept album, Greg?  If so, what do you think the concept is?

I've never really studied the art-work much.  I'll have to dig out the CDs and have a look.

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:39:29 pm »
I found an old copy of Kerrang (being the person I am that never throws anything away) and it has a small interview with Matt and he mentions that Hexagon Eye is about a fly and how he was listening to Sheb Wooley?s Purple People Eater and simply wanted to write a song that good.

Do I think Sub-Lingual is a concept album ?. No, there is no common theme running through it that I have ever been able to see. I think it?s an amazing album and the band had really come into their own with it, its such a shame the band never got to make one more album as with Sub-Lingual the band were starting to point towards a new direction.

Damon

Greg

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 07:02:49 pm »
Is Sub-lingual a concept album lets look at some of the evdence:-

One of the many meanings of  the word and in this context with the album in mind here 'Sub' is a term used in Chemistry, 'in names of compounds containing a relaively small proportion of a component: suboxide. Or the words origin from sub 'under, close to'

Now 'Lingual' in the context of the album also has two means the first being, relating to, or near the tongue. (or of a sound) formed by the tongue. the second meaning is  of or relating to speech or language. the origin of the word come from tonguage or language.

If you look inside the album cover there is a short paragragh written by Matt Bagguley about a chemical recation (Reffering to the 'sub' part of the name) in this case magnetism. I'm not going to go though every bit of that paragragh as you can all start to see some links between that and some of the song lyrics and song tittles.

To cut a long story short I think the album has got do do with:-

Talking, (differnent) Language, comuntication, Traval, movement, decovery, dierection, history, miss-understanding language, technology, maps, sencers, sciencers. electric bits and bobs sound, transport.

There prbably more but I can't be bothered to list any more. All this in very clealy layed out thought the album.

Also remember Pete mentioning in the second part of the Bio about how they were trying to find a new dierection and try some new ideas out maybe this was one of them.

Just seems a little coinsidental that there songs about travaling and travaling to placers and understanding diffenrent languages?

I'm done for now so this should keep you all busy.

I will be intrested to hear what you have to say!

All the best

Greg. ::)

Damon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:52:52 pm »
Sub-Lingual means to communicate without talking

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 08:33:19 pm »
...and i thought I was a Cable geek!  ;) :D ;D

Greg

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 08:57:56 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D