Author Topic: Crowd Funding for a Cable Reformation  (Read 19300 times)

martin_lindau

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Crowd Funding for a Cable Reformation
« on: May 16, 2012, 10:58:33 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time huge Cable fan and often have thoughts on how to get Cable back together for a gig or two. I was only 16 when they split up and only managed to see them 3 times. Many people my age and younger never even got the chance to see them live. There was something about Cable that was special when they played live, a certain energy, it's a weird one to put my finger on but those of you who saw them will probably understand!

Anyway, I've been friendly with Pete for a number of years now, I've spent about the last 10 years practising in the room Cable use to use at the Bakery in Derby, Hudson Super Six practise upstairs. Yesterday after seeing a post from Pete on Facebook about John Peel's on-line record archive containing Down Lift, I sent him a message to see if anyone had actually ever propositioned/offered any money up to Cable seriously to play a show since their split, he sort of said no. I get the impression that Matt being in Oslo is a major sticking point in making it happen and that there were concerns over the cost implications for him when they met in Brighton last year.

What do you guys think in starting a Kickstarter campaign or similar to raise ?500 to get Matt over and finally make it happen?

We'd need a group effort to make this happen between myself, the guys running this site and a campaign over as much media and social networking sites as possible.

I think if this were to come direct from us it would have a real impact on those guys.

The crowd funding services appear to be limited to 60 days so I'm not sure if we'd need a definite time scale on when the gig might happen. I'm not sure if it might be worth creating a Facebook page to channel interest before the fund raising starts?

Life is too short, if you want something to happen you've got to at least give it a go right?

Martin

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Crowd Funding for a Cable Reformation
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 11:31:32 am »
Martin Cool idea.

I think if we were to raise money we would have to know what and were it was going on Plane tickets etc...

I would really like to see a fully practised Cable again.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:32:44 pm by Greg »

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:16 am »
If this were to happen where should the gig be? (Hopefully Derby)

martin_lindau

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:37:15 am »
I'm not who their famous friends are Greg.

I guess when we know we have enough interest we could go back to Cable and ask them for more detail on what the money would be covering, I get the impression it would mainly be for plane tickets though.

I think Derby and London over a weekend could be in order with rehearsals taking place in the week leading up to the gig... Maybe Matt would want to fly back twice. We'd have to see...

Greg

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »
Lets do this! I'm In!!!!

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:51 pm »
Ahoy!

I always got the impression (although I have no evidence) that Matt wouldn't want to do a reunion.  If it's just a case of chipping in some cash to fly him over then I'd be happy to stick my hand in my pocket.  Alternatively, I'd be happy to pay a fairly steep ticket price (?50+) for the chance to see Cable.  How much would the guys want to play a one-off gig?

martin_lindau

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:28 pm »
That kind of the impression I've always got too... After speaking to Pete about it, he seemed to think it was more down to the costs involved for Matt getting over. I've just sent Matt a message on Facebook to try and get an answer straight from the horses mouth, we'll have to see if he comes back with anything.

colderclimate

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:20:58 pm »
I'll keep this short and sweet.

Yes.

martin_lindau

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
I've started a Facebook page, please share with friends!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-Get-Cable-To-Reform/314558535284969

mogwai

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:51 pm »
The chance to see the mighty Cable play live again???? YES please, i'm in.

iamnapoleon

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:36:20 pm »
This would be awesome.  I'd happily chip in and/or pay a reasonably hefty ticket price.

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:26 am »
Tell your friends, family and pets! This must happen
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

martin_lindau

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:29 am »
I think the Facebook page is starting to have the desired effect... I was struggling to get it outside my friends list initially. You guys need to get sharing/inviting friends though!

I've updated the links on the page to start getting some traffic over here. It's a bloody ace site, it deserves the visitors...

PlacidCasual

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »
I think it's a great idea, to see them live again would be second only to hearing new material by them but we can dream.

Echoing what others have said, i also get the slight impression that Matt would need the most persuading, he doesn't really seem to even acknowledge that cable ever existed.  I could be wrong of course.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:34:37 pm by PlacidCasual »