Author Topic: Whos looking forward to the covers album??  (Read 16877 times)

PlacidCasual

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Whos looking forward to the covers album??
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:15:16 pm »
 :-X I fuckin am!!  Was real surprised when i heard about it, Cacle deserve some respect.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:32:58 pm by placidcasual »

Greg

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Whos looking forward to the covers album??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:03:14 pm »
ME TOO.
            I'm really looking forward to hear The Lost Alone Cover. There doing 'Sale Of The Century'. Me and Steve coverd loads of Cable songs for Collage projects. The Teachers hated it because it was Punk and was'nt the Beatles or Cliff Richard and Because we could really play our instruments well for our age well that pissed them off eaven more. I remember one time at some performace we had to do, The teachers would'nt let us play because we were going to play 'Blue Birds are Blue' and 'Apparently'. When we were in our Final year we got away with 'God Gave Me Gravity' and Paranoid Andriod' and the Gorilla song 'More Flesh to the Pound'. We got top marks for that, how times change.   

Aside from that little story, Steve Mark and co will do a great job (As always) on The Cable Track.

Is there going to be a tribute gig somewhere? if so it seems fitting for it to be in Derby where it all started.  ;)

Greg.

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:17:38 pm »
I?m looking forward to the tribute album and it should bring the band some new fans that missed out the first time around but I can?t help worrying as surely the only people that can play those songs are in fact Cable, the interest in the band might make it easier for them if they choose to reform though.

At the very least it will make for great listening and I can?t wait to find out exactly what songs will be covered ?plus I?ve donated loads of artwork for it so it will be cool to see my prised Cable memorabilia included in the artwork.

Damon!
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

Corporate_Automaton

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 09:49:55 am »
Ahoy!

This is probably old news to everyone - but it was new to me so I thought I'd put it up anyway!

The artists and tracks due to appear on the Cable Tribute are (taken from www.myspace.com/atributetocable):

In Flight Program - God Gave Me Gravity
The Killerest Expression - Choice
The League of International Super Best Friends (members of Bloc Party and Your Code Name Is Milo) - Do The Tube
Tom Vek - Ultra Violet
Stapleton - Sports cars and devil worship
Knives - Signature Tune
Get cape. Wear Cape. Fly. - Freeze the atlantic
Swound - Honolulu
Lost alone - Sale Of The Century
Tellison - Song 1
My Awesome Compilation - Bluebirds Are Blue
Econoline - The Clairvoyant
Fixit Kid - Ouibliette
Pocket promise - Comprendez?
Dave House - Souvenir

The tribute album is due to be released on October 24th.

Let's hope the bands manage to do the songs justice!  Though, like Damon says, if it arouses interest in Cable and makes them reform then it's all good!

Thanks,

Corporate_Automaton

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:58:48 pm »
Very mixed thoughts. It's great the awareness is there and that, potentially, Cable will be introduced to these bands' fans BUT tribute albums are very often horribly shoddy affairs and the thought of some of these artists covering Cable fills me with some dread. Get Cape. Wear Cape. especially.

I'm very interested to hear Vek's effort and also the Bloc Party/YCNI:M hook-up but we all know there's only one band ever truly capable of doing these songs justice!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:03:16 pm by Gojonnygogogogo »

Benj

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 03:24:43 pm »
It will be interesting to hear other interpretations of the songs, yes - but I agree with a lot of you that we'd much rather the chaps get back together and play them themselves rather than hear covers which may or may not be awful. I am looking forward to Get Cape / Tom Vek's efforts to see how they fare and also The League Of's track, mainly cos it's one of my top 5 Cable tracks.
Sadly (was excited at first but now I'm dreading it), one of my favourite bands is covering my favourite Cable song ('Sports Cars...' by Stapleton) so they'd better do it justice.

Or else.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 04:04:50 pm »
I personally dont't know much about any of the bands covering the songs but i think it will make interesting  listening to hear what other groups can will with Cable's songs,  they're such great songs to begin with so hopefully it wont be too hard to mess them up.  I think it may give some of the songs a fresh face, you never know it could be an ace album. Il definately be buying it anyway.

Jezmyers

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:52:11 pm »
It will be interesting to hear other interpretations of the songs, yes - but I agree with a lot of you that we'd much rather the chaps get back together and play them themselves rather than hear covers which may or may not be awful. I am looking forward to Get Cape / Tom Vek's efforts to see how they fare and also The League Of's track, mainly cos it's one of my top 5 Cable tracks.
Sadly (was excited at first but now I'm dreading it), one of my favourite bands is covering my favourite Cable song ('Sports Cars...' by Stapleton) so they'd better do it justice.

Or else.

The Stapleton version sound amazing. Seriously good. Al Stapleton was/is a huge Cable fan.

Sam Cape is in mid writing of his version at the moment and I know it's relatively different from the original.

ChrisH

• the artist formally known as Gojonnygogogogo
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 11:05:12 pm »
Ah i dunno, it's just something about that guy's music that really bugs me. Not a fan of his vocals or twee strumming at all. I can just imagine him singing FTA and it just grating on me badly! Sorry Mr get Cape - i'm sure you have myriad other fans.

Joey Swound!

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:57:55 pm »
Stapleton have done an Amazing version of sports cars.. It's probably my favourite so far. This album is going to be really really really good if it's all like the tracks I've heard so far.. apart from Swound!'s. Theirs is shite.

Damon

• Global Moderator
    • www.Psychogenetic.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 02:08:38 am »
I?d like to hear some of the stuff that?s going on the tribute album

Damon
Evil mastermind/moderator / co-founder

ukjohnd

• Administrator
    • Hexagon Eye
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 03:43:28 am »
5 days till the first previews on myspace.....

They will also be giving a preview of the album tracks in their myspace page, airing one track per week.
Sep 4 2006     8:00P   In Flight Program    God Gave Me Gravity
Sep 11 2006    8:00P   Tellison    Song 1
Sep 18 2006    8:00P   Lost Alone    Sale Of The Century
Sep 25 2006    8:00P   My Awesome Compilation    Blue Birds Are Blue
Oct 2 2006    8:00P   The League Of International Super Best Friends    Do The Tube
Oct 9 2006    8:00P   Tom Vek    Ultra Violet
Oct 16 2006    8:00P   Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.    Freeze The Atlantic

http://www.myspace.com/atributetocable
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 03:48:48 am by ukjohnd »
Website Admin / co-founder