Author Topic: favourite cable song  (Read 26635 times)

BoXofSlicE

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: favourite cable song
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 12:17:47 pm »
Hello everyone!!

It?s good to see an active Cable site up and running after all these years, thanks to the geezer that has made the effort with this.

Anyway as for my favourite Cable songs?there are so many, hmmm I?d say at the moment in no particular order: deadwood for green, brothers + sisters, clairvoyant, hydra, the colder climate?.

Rob

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 03:54:17 pm »
Deadwood For Green. no doubt about it. it's just one of those songs that builds and builds with downright musical passion and when it finishes it has to go on again. by far the best vocal melodies Matt has ever written (at least of the ones i've heard).

it's a shame it wasn't on the Seventy 7". i think it'd probably be the best song ever on vinyl.

and it's quite often played at First Floor in Derby as the last song of their saturday club night. i tend to lose the plot at that point.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 03:56:21 pm by Rob »
Open doors, open doors; all the simple things are yours.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 04:01:11 pm »
I rememeber at all the indie clubs here i used to always try and request cable songs, not once did they ever get played   >:(  I suppose in Derby they will have a far bigger fanbase. Deadwood for green is such an ace song, infact ive not heard it in a while so il listen to it when i get home.

Greg

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 08:53:05 pm »
Easy placid, Eaven when Cable were big the only place in Derby you could get a song played was the Blue note, and probably still is. I heard for the first time the Fully recorded version of Aurther Walker the place went nuts!!

Gre ;D ;Dg.

nicof

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 01:23:40 pm »
It's a toss up between Ultraviolet, From Here You Can See Yourself (if only because of that damn drumming), Dinky, Oubliette and Pocket Promise... Although I love every track I've ever heard, so it could be anything... Damn, i'll just go for Rick Wakeman...

jake74

• System Error
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 02:51:05 pm »
Cable were one of those rare bands who never wrote a bad song, they were all brilliant. 

totally agree with that
@jake74

Si

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2006, 08:10:08 pm »
SONG 1!!!

Martin

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 04:10:04 pm »
I love Pocket Promise...

I love Autobahn Head too, how high does Matt sing on that! Richie must have been squeesing his balls while he was singing it on the recording!!

superhorse

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 07:38:32 pm »
As has been said, there really aren't any bad Cable songs, but I personally think that God Gave Me Gravity is possibly their finest moment, amazing song.

FireSka

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • The Ash Files
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 12:55:29 am »
It's a hard question with so many quality songs.  My favs change all the time, but right now  I'd say...
Pocket Promise
Windower
Bluebirds Are Blue
New Set of Bruises
Give Em' What They Want
Deadwood For Green
-FireSka-
Ash Bootlegs & Rare Media @ The Ash Files - http://www.ashfiles.com

Greg

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 09:47:23 pm »
I think my Favourite Cable B-side is Action Replay Replay, Because when I first heard it, I could not belive it wasn't a single. Then when I went to see Cable they played it, Nice one guys.

Greg.

Alec

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 09:26:25 am »
Midget! (closely followed by Give Em What They Want)

Greg

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:11 pm »
Yeah, Midget should have been put out as a single as well. I remember on there last few tours they were playing that all the time. Is one ace song!!

Greg.

edammade

• Novice Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 12:26:17 am »
I'm new to the site and this is my first post on any forum ever. For a long time I thought I was the only one who could hear the genius in Cable. Why oh why didn't they get the recognition they deserved,....mainly coz people (especially music moghuls) have shit taste and now that John Peel has gone there is there ever hope of recovery.

Anyway, favourite Cable song? As stated before all there songs were killers and none were meant as album fillers.

10: Electro Gazelle (Really deserves a mention)
9: I'm always right (Can't get over that middle eight)
8: Hexagon eye (Probably the best Chorus of all)
7: Signature tune. (It's a grower)
6: New set of Bruises (Romping stomping angular clanging behomoth)
5: The Blues (Fantastic epic)
4: Blindman (One of there best singles and should have been played at Indie clubs everywhere)
3: God gave me gravity (Excellent inovative song structure and perfect emotive melody at the end)
2: Oubliette (What can I say about the meaty bastard, my former number one)
After many years of Cabling the number one song I crave the most after long periods of absence is....
1: Souvenir (Rip roaring guitars, slicing vocals and amazing live if you were ever privalidged enough)

The fact that two B-SIDES are in there tells you enough and I can only think of Nirvana and the Pixies who have done the same.
Number one album has to be 'when animals attack' as this is true epic album pefection. The other two have few critical points but if I have to; the 1st is a little to short and the 3rd was to polished and lacked there early rawness.

This is edammade, last survivor of Cable, signing out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:27:53 am by edammade »